rear axle bearings

sootman73

Reaction score
i had a bad bearing in the rearend so i tore it apart last night.:eek::eek::eek:

the out bearing was completely destroyed due to lack of oil.:angel:

had to use a slide hammer just to get the hub off and the cut the inner bearing race off the spindle. the spindle is messed up but i reassembled everything with all new bearings, races, and seals. i cleaned up the spindle as best i could but i was stuck with either putting it back together or putting a new axle under the truck.... took about four hours to do the one side due to the complications. the inner bearing was perfectly fine though.

it should hold oil now that i have new seals. the other side is tonight if its not raining too bad.... hope it all holds together now.... i'll post pics tonight of the bearing(well whats left of it anyway)

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to do my rear bearings and seals on my truck this summer. Thats about the only thing I have not touched yet. I hope mine is not that complicated. Good luck.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ben if you need any axle parts let me know ASAP just got SRW 2wd gasser F350 in at yard w/ 3.55 gears. It wont be there long with scrap prices the way they are.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Good job sootman.
I had my right rear go out on me a couple of weeks ago. It was on a Sunday,80 miles from home, 3 horse slantload trailer with horse, the wife ,5,and 6 year old kids were with us. Needless to say I couldn't get all the parts that day, got parts Monday morning though. It took me a good 3 hours just to get what was left of the inner bearing off, what a pain. Out in the middle of nowhere, with no power or anything. Then half way home it went out again because I couldn't get the bearing on all the way, so I did it again. The right way this time, I used a file to clean the shaft off.
A couple of days after this all happened I replaced the left side. I think it took me a whole 30 minutes. It goes pretty quike when you have the right tools and experience.

sootman73

Reaction score
i've had the hub off countless times and its really easy when things are new(well not destroyed i should say)LOL

steve i would but there seems to be so much wrong with my truck its really getting to the point that i dont want to put that much money into. i hate to see all this money going into it and not getting anything back out of it.....