Re treaded tires?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's too late already bought a set of retreaded tires, base tire is bfg at and the re tread is 1000 miles new everything looked good and I only paid 100$ for the set. Currently running on totally bald 0 tread bfg mts. Are these new tires really that bad? thy have 100 percent tread load range d and were ran in another f350 but the persons son absolutely needed 2500$ mt tires for his truck and his dad sold the old ones on Craig's for cheap for someone in need of tires like myself. Some people are saying oh my god your gonna die iof a instant blowout running re treads and others are saying the technology has come further and my brand re tread is top quality no worries at least for a while just keep tire pressure in check. Also noted I will not be hauljng heavy with them or much at all for now anyway

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm not so worried about it in the winter. but as soon as the weather warms up....get rid of them asap. there's a reason why you see gators all over the road at the beginning of summer.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get rid of them asap.. I ran retreads before cause I was desperate and they said they were good, brand new from a dealer, didn't make it 50 miles and lost a tread. Dealer was nice enough to refund my money. Went and got some used ones to get me by right after that.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He said they went 1000 miles so far? Why can a product be produced or have a market if they don't sometimes work? I have a spare with me and jack they can't all die at once. As mentioned I am at 0 percent tread and have broken belt so they can't be any worse? Also I'm in Oregon out hottest summer month averages 80 and rarely hits 100. For maybe 1-2 days but then I'm hiding inside with ac on high those days lol I'm gonna test for a while they seem to have a reasonable rep online as far as the company goes and bfg is a decent brand tire? If ones decides to go anytime soon then I'll just forget it toss them on crAigs list and add a similar spare I have laying around and get money back and buy new. Was hoping too save money on tires this year and buy hard parts and next years taxes get tires. Any chance they will make it 1 year and 10xxx miles on road? I'm not a crazy driver usually and don't haul heavy

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Ran retreads on a lot of stuff and never had one come apart. From my pops f450 to my stepmoms 2010 wrangler.

Most of the gators you see on the side of the road are ****** tires that were not properly maintained.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First question is do you know who made them?

I've got about 20k on the retreads on the back of my f350 with no issues.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they have 1000mi on them already air them up and check closely for any bulges/bubbles. If they look fine, I'd keep an eye on them and run them.

There's ALWAYS a possibility of a blowout. But if they have been fine for 1000mi already, keep a close eye on them, CHECK AIR PRESSURE REGULARLY and give it a shot. Low air pressure creates heat which kills tires.

If you notice a vibration pop up out of the blue stop and check them. I had a blowout once on a tire that was, NOT a retread. Blew my rear fender apart because it was rusted out. Luckily I was barely moving.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Any chance they will make it 1 year and 10xxx miles on road? I'm not a crazy driver usually and don't haul heavy

Yes there's a chance, but there's a reason they aren't legal to run on passenger transport (bus) steer axles at all. Fed law says they can be used on local service trucks (like UPS box trucks) that don't go over 55mph for more than 50 miles on the first retread on a steer axle, but they can't be used there after a second retread.
You are also supposed to inspect the edge of the cap on every one of those tires inside and out every time you get in the truck, if you get any cap separation at all, they aren't a legal tire anymore in any position.
State laws vary, so most places just buy new for the front and run retreads on the rear only.
Personally, I won't run a recap, I like to save money, but not on tires or batteries.

Most of the gators you see on the side of the road are ****** tires that were not properly maintained.

Easy to tell just looking, if it's got wires from the belts sticking out, it's a ****** tire, if it doesn't, it's a cap. ;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run them before. The first set I happened to get off a old car that I swapped an engine from. Ran them on a old pickup, and I started having a bad vibration. Took it to a big tire store in my town and they said they were recaps, but they would replace it for free. That's when I found out the place that I happened to go to get a new tire was the place that made the re-cap. Those did ok after that.

I then went back to the same place, and they got me a matching white letter re-cap set for another truck I bought. These were fine for the first few thousand miles and then going to work I got a terrible vibration. Pulled over in a gas station and one of them had come loose. I put the spare on, my days of running re-caps are over. I am cheap, but there is a cheap versus aggravation formula and it started to not add up.

You have them, run them. I never had any blow outs or anything, just a serious vibration when they started coming loose.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some reading, and a decent retread works just fine. The problem is twofold:
1. Underinflation will cause /any/ tire to separate, not just retreads.
2. Cheap retreads, because to do a "good" retread costs almost as much as a new tire, thanks to cheap chinese tires.
Personally, I'd try it. Keep an eye on them, make sure you have a spare, and run em.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don’t do a lot of highway driving run them but be vigilant. Like tomcat said, enemy of a recap is heat. Can come from out side temp. Asphalt temp or temp from poor inflation and overloading.

To get me by a while, I’d run them. I would not hitch the camper and take the family cross country on a set.

DougsOBS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive run a few sets of the treadwright retreads and have been more than happy.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call a RETREAD a retread, where the original tire has the treads recut.

Call a RECAP a recap, where the original tire has all the treads cut/ground off and a molded cap with treads is then glued to the tire casing.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call a RETREAD a retread, where the original tire has the treads recut.

Call a RECAP a recap, where the original tire has all the treads cut/ground off and a molded cap with treads is then glued to the tire casing.
You are correct I didn't even think about that they are in fact a re cap not re tread. I am just gonna run them for a bit I feel or see anythjng wrong with them after driving a bit they will be tossed. They are not currently on rims im doing that Monday, it's really cheap for me I have a friend who works at a discount tire shop. If it doesn't work out I'll only be down 150 and I couldn't still sell them off again after as "roller" tires

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct I didn't even think about that they are in fact a re cap not re tread. I am just gonna run them for a bit I feel or see anythjng wrong with them after driving a bit they will be tossed. They are not currently on rims im doing that Monday, it's really cheap for me I have a friend who works at a discount tire shop. If it doesn't work out I'll only be down 150 and I couldn't still sell them off again after as "roller" tires
Wow, 150 for 4 tires mount and balanced? I only pay $75 for 4 tires, mounted and balanced at the local tire place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle