Rattles a ton when starting cold

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just exactly what the title says - maybe 10-15 seconds of real hard rattling before it calms down, and then it steps down from high idle maybe 2 or 3 minutes later. Is that a normal diesel or is my timing off?

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shadetree did it pretty roughly by ear for me in the summer - is that something damn near any shop can do correctly, or is there enough of an art for it to be worth seeking out somebody highly recommended?

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also - I think I've got some air intrusion issues, it doesn't like to start up on the front tank, I think because it'll seep back. I need to chase those down over Christmas Break - does that change engine noise?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
acutally it sounds like it is damn close in timing. when the timing is set correctly, and the motor is cold, it will rattle really loud till she warms up a bit

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
acutally it sounds like it is damn close in timing. when the timing is set correctly, and the motor is cold, it will rattle really loud till she warms up a bit

thats what mine does....along with a large cloud of blue or white smoke

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine rattles pretty good cold, until the cold advance kicks off. It does it a heck of a lot more since I got a meter from Gary and set the timing to 9* BTDC, so I know its set right. Now I'm used to it and my neighbors can get over it.

Reaction score
Also - I think I've got some air intrusion issues, it doesn't like to start up on the front tank, I think because it'll seep back. I need to chase those down over Christmas Break - does that change engine noise?
Mine was doing the same thing and found the O-Rings at my return caps were leaking. After replacing them it cured the problem. Good Luck

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Is that something damn near any shop can do correctly, or is there enough of an art for it to be worth seeking out somebody highly recommended?

I have one of the Kent-Moore meters Gary rents out and I just follow his instructions, its easy

Some shops will "rip you off" and time it by ear for $100.00+

Most shops no longer have the knowledge to do the job properly anymore.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air intrusion.
I have set of the cheap return lines and caps and mine rattles a lot more than it use to. If I let it set for more than a day its a B@#*! to start without holding the pedal on the floor for 10 sec.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm definitely loud on startup. Music to my ears.:sly Gets pretty quiet and smooth after warm up though. I'm timed at 8.5deg.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
yes mine sounds like a chain swinging around in a 55 gallon drum, along with enough blue smoke to kill every mosquito in the south.

once she warms up though its right. I just replaced the IP and injectors last winter, and while I never did time it, its been running good, so I just hold my breath and truck on

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did all the return lines this summer fighting air intrusions then, they're brand new. Maybe it's just the way these IDIs are - it's real loud though. I've got to change the oil in the next couple hundred miles, I think I'll put some 5w-40 in and see if that quiets it down a bit.

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been informed that air intrusion can cause advances in timing - and since I've got a bit of a leak, which causes a bit of a zoom when it starts up - I'm thinking these are all related. I'll drop it in the shop over Christmas and see what I can find. I hate hunting for airleaks though!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online