Rattles a ton when starting cold

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also - I think I've got some air intrusion issues, it doesn't like to start up on the front tank, I think because it'll seep back. I need to chase those down over Christmas Break - does that change engine noise?

I vote for this one.

Check the fuel pump for leaks too. I've had an air intrusion problem... just found it Saturday... for a couple of months now. ****** would dry up with hot engine, didn't leak at rest, no drips on pavement, etc.!! -cuss Cold WX set in and things didn't dry up so fast. Crawled under truck for xxxxxTH time and BiNGO!!! Wet pump line.

Someone had installed a rubber hose to pressure side of pump and a standard thin hose camp. Leaks just enuff to be a pain, but not a "real" problem...although it is a problem.

I'd check again for leaks in all the hidden places.

I'll let others speak to timing, especially since it was ear calibrated.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I vote for this one.

Check the fuel pump for leaks too. I've had an air intrusion problem... just found it Saturday... for a couple of months now. ****** would dry up with hot engine, didn't leak at rest, no drips on pavement, etc.!! -cuss Cold WX set in and things didn't dry up so fast. Crawled under truck for xxxxxTH time and BiNGO!!! Wet pump line.

Someone had installed a rubber hose to pressure side of pump and a standard thin hose camp. Leaks just enuff to be a pain, but not a "real" problem...although it is a problem.

I'd check again for leaks in all the hidden places.

I'll let others speak to timing, especially since it was ear calibrated.

And remember its "air intrusion" not a "fuel leak". Air can find its way in where fuel cannot find its way out.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And remember its "air intrusion" not a "fuel leak". Air can find its way in where fuel cannot find its way out.

Yeeeeup!

And it did in my case.

I got lucky in an odd sort of way and found a "leak"..... only cuz it's getting worserer! Hence the odd luck! cookoo

:rotflmao

Gotta get an E-pump! With all the rubber components giving up the ghost on this baby sitter purchase.... I'm sweating the lift pump too. E-pump will help in all kinds of ways.... including finding some "intrusions" easier.

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.... but since I did.... here's a fun one for you to mull over regarding fuel leaks.

We use a lot of push on fittings secured with twin fat hose clamps on our fuel systems. Had a customer with a fuel "fitting" leak, simle fix, no prob, be there in ten, fix it in ten....done!

Not sooooo faaast there Buck Wheat!

Fitting sealed, still leaked.

Replaced fitting, sealed, still leaked! ***!!!!!!!!! -cuss -cuss -cuss

Of course the fitting was on the down wind side of the line, high pressure side was fine.

Pulled off up wind side of hose, fuel was going between the braid in the center of the hose layers and exiting through the other end....even with double hose clamps. :puke:

I know it sounds weird, but it looked like the hose clamps pooched the inside de-lamination a little on the downwind end, which aggravated the sitchyashun.

We found a piece of rubber flap de-laminated on the inside from being pushed onto the barbed fitting incorrectly and fuel was pushing through the correct route AND through the hose lamination's.

20 minutes was 100 minutes... I hate that!

But then again... there's a reason for T&M! :angel:

OK! Back to basilbowman's considerations! Sorry! Just hadta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger