Radiator question - is this bad???

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed what appears to be solder bloom in the radiator. I'm not sure, because it looks like it could be just mineral buildup too. Is there a way to get rid of it? I don't have any overheating problems, so I'm not too worried about it just yet, but I don't know if it's better to put in a new radiator or what.

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Most likely sca dropout, or just general mineral deposit from shoddy water.
CLR will knock it out, BUT I can guarantee you'll have leaks after.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same principle as the CLR. Don't be surprised if you have a leak show up.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Citric or phopshoric are generally the best. Acetic (vinegar) is pretty weak. Citric is an excellent chealant and will remove iron deposits. I wouldnt use any of them though. Not so much for the risk of a radiator leaking, becuase they all can attack solder and ny deposit that may be sealing a leak, but becuase of the potential for headgasket leaks by removing material at the gasket surface. I'd leave it. It's not going to hurt anything. If you removed the radiator you could clean it, i'd reccomend citric as it will clean iron out much better than vinegar, but youd need a set a pump up and circulate water and the acid through the system for a few hours. I generally clean systems in a 10-20% solution, which is alot, and really in your case would not be justifiable vs the cost of a new radiator. Urea hydrochloride is one of the best acids for mixed metal systems but but you'd have trouble getting ahold of it locally.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I took mine off, laid it flat and filled it up. Everyone now and then I'd tip it around to slosh the fluid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I say that from experience.

I second that. I used two bottles of cooling system flush in mine and drove it for about 10 miles to make sure the thermostat opened and got things flowing nicely. Ended up with a very small pinhole leak somewhere in the core, only noticed by the telltale stain of coolant buildup on the fins.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats usually caused by under deposit corrosion, and when you remove the scale that was bandaided over it, the leak starts. It's one of the reasons they went away from silicates in coolant. Silicate is desigined for form a layer of scale usually magneisum silicate, over the metal surfaces to protect them. But then low pH conditions can exist locally below the scale and corrode the metal from below the scale without creating a leak. This scale also prevents the corrosion inhibitors be it molybdate, or nitrite from reaching the steel/copper surface where they would protect the surface with a passive layer directly on the metals surface. SCA (corrosion inhibitors) work by removing oxygen from the coolant (oxygen pitting a a huge concern thats what caused rust), but also by adding a layer of sacrificial metal to the surface so if corrosion occurs it removes this layer first. silicates and phosphates work similar to paint. Have you ever seen paint start to bubble from underneath? Then you go to remove it and there are pin holes through the body panel? Thats basically how under deposit corrosion works.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most of the time this forum sees cooling systems filled with tap or well water. Long ago I started using true steam distilled water. Not the crap they called reverse osmosis water. ONLY steam distilled water is going to be mineral free.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would advise against using CLR or what have you... as you will spring a leak. Make sure your SCAs are in check and run it if its staying cool... otherwise you'll be replacing the radiator.

On that note, The champion 4 core is a beast and can be had for 265 shipped if you keep your eyes on ebay.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would advise against using CLR or what have you... as you will spring a leak. Make sure your SCAs are in check and run it if its staying cool... otherwise you'll be replacing the radiator.

On that note, The champion 4 core is a beast and can be had for 265 shipped if you keep your eyes on ebay.

I wouldn't mind the champion radiator, but I have the wide radiator and it doesn't look like they make a replacement for the wide style.