Radiator leak. 90 miles from home with camper a

SLittle

Reaction score
I'm in Prairie Du Chein WI. Pulled up here last night pulling my 6.5k lb fifth wheel. As I pulled in to town the temp rose.

I've got a leaking radiator.

I can't reach the leak to try JB Weld without pulling the radiator.

Is there anything I could try temporary to get home? Im heading home Sunday. Id hate to compromise the rest of my cooling system with Stop Leak or an egg. But has anyone had any luck using something for a temp fix?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the milder stop leaks work fine. I have used that Prestone super sealer several times with no extra clogging of the heater core or anything else. It works pretty good to stop most leaks. I will warn you what it will do is make a mess all over your engine compartment if it leaks out some before stopping the main leak. Instead of ending up with sticky anti-freeze residue all over everything where it blows back, you will end up with this white looking stuff all over. It's easily washed off so don't panic. If your leak is bad you will get some of it on things till it stops it.

Also, after you get home and drain the system to fix it correctly, you will see a blob of jello looking stuff come out when you drain the fluid after using the prestone. Still, I never had any ill affects and once I flushed the system out everything was back to normal.

I was desparate one time and used that bars stuff for head gaskets, it looks like thick goo with copper flakes in it. This stuff will stop up various things, I would not use it unless I was in a real pinch. It even stops up the ports in the radiator cap for the overflow bottle. I have no doubt it would probably temp fix a head gasket, but with collateral plugging also.

If you do not have any hard pulls with your truck what can help is running the radiator cap loose so the system will not build pressure. The only reason they run the system under pressure is to raise the boiling point of the coolant. If you stay on the cooler side, around 200 F running the system without any pressure will help any leaks you have. You could also go to the store and buy a 7lb cap instead of the original 13 lb cap. This will be half the pressure, and still give you plenty of room for some hard pulls with the engine. I ran a 7 lb cap on mine for several years till I could afford a new radiator.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a leak develop in the radiator tubes during a trip home from Moab. The lower tubes had corroded through.

I stocked up on 2 gallons of coolant and 8 gallons of distilled water. I ran the Truck hard as I was pulling a gooseneck with two Toyotas on it. I stopped several times to check on things but only needed to add water once. I tried to keep the RPM's under 2800.

As long as you keep the coolant topped off I think you will be fine.
Can you reach the leak with a pair of long needle nose pliers and crimp the tube shut?

I considered crimping and JB welding them on the road but decided it was more trouble than it was worth since I knew I'd be replacing the radiator when I got home.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
How big of a leak? Pour out? Or only leak when hot?
If it's a smaller leak, find some silver seal. I would start off with 3 or 4 tubes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PO of my truck used that bars stop leak stuff when the radiator developed a pinhole leak. It held up for years, 'till I owned it and the tank exploded. It didn't clog up my heater core or oil cooler either. If you've just got a pinhole, it's worth a shot, but if it's a waterfall then no amount of stop-leak will help that.

As the others mentioned, a 7-lb radiator cap would also be a good idea. You should be able to get one at any auto parts store.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything I could try temporary to get home? Im heading home Sunday. Id hate to compromise the rest of my cooling system with Stop Leak or an egg. But has anyone had any luck using something for a temp fix?[/QUOTE]

I was in a similar position last fall when driving home from VA, champion radiator (aluminum) major failure / separation of cores & tank, HUGE leak. Thank the man upstairs,
You must be registered for see images attach
it happened maybe five miles from an auto parts store. They suggested "Blue Devil Radiator & Block Sealer" (it was a little pricey). It worked awesome, immediately sealed the massive leak, and I drove approximately 50 miles home. Arriving home I drained the entire cooling system and then also used Blue Devil flush to clean the system prior to installing a new radiator.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
When I was crosscountry trucking I always carried black pepper with me. (also carried & used rubbing alcohol in my airlines in winter) Also heard of using & have used Ginger, Cinnamon, & Turmeric spices with good luck.

Once when I redid head & gasket on an old Towmotor Fork ordered headgasket kit from Cat. Kit had everything including some stopleak pellets. Cat Parts called next day cking on things. Suddenly guy said "oh yeah, be sure to put those stopleak pellets in that thing, be sure you do!" I asked what they were made from. He hummed & hawed round & finally said "between you & me they're nothing more than Ginger."

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked what they were made from. He hummed & hawed round & finally said "between you & me they're nothing more than Ginger."

Pretty sure that's the same thing GM used. A few years back they had issues with one of the V6 engines. Factory issued a service bulletin to add a couple of those pellets to the radiator as a preventative measure.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well shoot, I learned something! Pepper, ginger... who'd a thunk it?

If it's a small leak load up on water and drive. Pull over every so often to refill. Won't take long to figure out how bad the leak is.

Also if you're on flat ground you can remove the radiator cap and go easy, this will keep the system from pressurizing and leaking more. But of course your boiling point will be 212.

SLittle

Reaction score
Follow up:

Left camper in Wisconsin. Topped off radiator (consistent drip, drip, drip from where core meets upper tank). Drove home without towing. Stopped at 1/2 way point to top off radiator but it never once got warm.

Got home, installed junk yard replacement radiator. Will go get camper this weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online