Need some help with a coolant problem

bowedup2003

Reaction score
Guys, I try not to bother yall with minor stuff, but I could use some input on a problem I'm having with my 6.9l. I started having an issue with it blowing coolant out of the radiator overflow tube. Aldo, the engine is not and has never overheated. I checked the radiator cap, it was rusty and questionable so I refilled the radiator (left about 1" down for expansion) and installed a new radiator cap. Drove truck 1.5 weeks back and forth to work and did not experience any coolant in overflow bottle.

Fast forward to today, drove truck across town and noticed coolant dripping from truck, checked and found the catch bottle full. I brought the truck home, doublechecked the temp w/a manual gauge, all ok, set the truck to a high idle for 1hr and watched for air bubbles out the overflow tube (compression in cooling system), no bubbles or coolant overflow observed, even after thermostat opened. Took the truck for a very agressive test run for about 5min and checked the overflow, still no bubbles but approx. 1 cup of coolant in overflow bottle.

My original guess was head gasket leaking (engine is turbo'd) but I think the compression in the cooling system would be all the time?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bowedup

Reaction score
To me, that sounds like a typical head gasket, but seems like a SLOW leak...

I would pressurize the cooling system and see if it drops in a peroid of time....you may only be leaking under high boost/heat times, however

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin