MY NEW CAMPER IS HOME!!!

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i think i need more than a cam. my injection pump is on the way out i believe. it kept advancing all of a sudden on long steady pulls. but i run wmo and wvo so i hesitate to put new stuff on it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Got to admit I got a little camper envy here, I am trying to talk the wife into one this year instead of waiting till next year. So you got any inside pics?

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
chris i even have a ceiling fan i can stand under!! its freakin awesome. now up in the master its only 6'4" and for most people that would be fantastic. but not quite for me, but i dont care, its great.

jred as soon as we get some decent weather ill certainly get some good pics. hopefully next couple days. i certainly was not wanting to spend that much. my usual MO is find something old, crapped out and fix it up they way i want. just as most of us are with our vehicles. but somethings one just does not want to do that with. i was so tired of taking the entire week before a trip to fix all the stupid **** that went wrong on that old camper. if i couldve stood up in my old one idve remodeled it. but it was pointless cause id still be hunched over in it. i dont have any car payments, i dont drink or smoke nor does the wife. hell she doesnt even get her hair or nails done or buy a ton of makeup. so we figured we kinda deserved a little treat.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
Advancing like that the pump could be running out of fuel. I would check fuel filter and lift pump.:dunno

at the fall get together i was having trouble with it just stalling if i pushed in the clutch to coast to a stop if i was on straight diesel. but on wvo it ran perfect. ron said hes thinking the pumps just worn enough that on thick fuel its fine but thin diesel lets the advance cam flop around more. yesterday was the first towing trip that i used an 80/20 mix of wmo/diesel. id be on a real long grade in 4th about 3/4 throttle settled in real nice at say 2300 rpm and 8psi boost. after like 4 minutes it would all of a sudden gain about 50 hp and jump to 12 psi and take off. as soon as i release the tiniest bit of pressure off the throttle it would go right back to normal. my fuel filter light is very good about coming on. it doesnt ever die off like the filter was plugged. just keeps pulling like crazy til i back off a bit.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the fall get together i was having trouble with it just stalling if i pushed in the clutch to coast to a stop if i was on straight diesel. but on wvo it ran perfect. ron said hes thinking the pumps just worn enough that on thick fuel its fine but thin diesel lets the advance cam flop around more. yesterday was the first towing trip that i used an 80/20 mix of wmo/diesel. id be on a real long grade in 4th about 3/4 throttle settled in real nice at say 2300 rpm and 8psi boost. after like 4 minutes it would all of a sudden gain about 50 hp and jump to 12 psi and take off. as soon as i release the tiniest bit of pressure off the throttle it would go right back to normal. my fuel filter light is very good about coming on. it doesnt ever die off like the filter was plugged. just keeps pulling like crazy til i back off a bit.

What was said above, the behavior sounds like inadequate fuel flow. You may consider adding a flat-plate heat exchanger on the fuel line to lower the viscosity. I have one and run WVO in my front tank and it works great, preheating the fuel to about 160F. You can also thin with kerosene (Jet-A) as it is more effective than no. 2 diesel, even after considering the higher cost.
PS Congrats on the camper!

Last edited:

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
thanks jim. i do have a heat exchanger on it, works fantastic. however it does nothing to help out the lift pump as its right before the filter. a heated tank would really be nice! like an arctic fox heated pickup. im up to my eyeballs trying to get my other project done to pull this camper. i think i may do a heated pickup on this project. then next year redo the blue trucks fuel system.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Yea, my camper is pretty new, but we have out grown it bigtime. This year it looks like were gonna have 6 people total, and all are 5 ft or taller. A 24 footer w no slide out just doesn't cut anymore. Im trying to find a 28 -32 footer with a quad bunkhouse and at least 1 slide, maybe 2. Been looking at new ones. They are nice. Not really liking the payment though. lol

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
the bunkhouses are awesome. i really really wish wed have have that when i was growing up! are you still going with bumper pull or stepping up to the 5th wheel? the master bedrooms are crap in the travel trailers unless you manage to find a rear master front bunk mosel. but those are usually in the 30+ footers and those suck to pull.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online