Quick question before i replace my clutch!!

bigred*

Reaction score
Hey guys, i got two quick questions, looking ti have my new clutch installed today but dont wanna do it till i understand, first question is, is it ok to have a little oil on the clutch? I was told that a little oil could cause them to slip, cuz mine, well i couldnt get over 5 mph cuz it was slipping so bad

2nd question. On my flywheel, i onpy have 8 of the 10 bolts.. Is this normal?? Or do i need to get 2 more??
Here are pics, first pic is clutch, its hard to see the oil, my fingers were clean and i only rubbed my finger like a half inch along it, 2nd pic is the missing flywheel bolts
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

bigred*

Reaction score
Also did these trucks come with a dual mass flywheel?? I feel like i have a solid flywheel but am not to sure, my ckutvh has all the springs in the middle of it

bigred*

Reaction score
So more new questions, my clutch measures 12-1/4 inches on the outside diameter, looks like its a solid flywheel and i have an after market turbo, im guessing all the work was done at once, which is also why i might be missing the two flywheel bolts.. So im having a super hard time finding a replacement clutch, the guy at napa on the phone said they have one like i described for $350, but i cant find anywhere on there website, honestly there whole website is $h!t, but other then what he told me i cant find anything else anywhere, and $350 seems a little steep for just a clutch and pressure plate, i have another f250 with the 5.8 and all new clutch kit was under $100

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the bolts that hold your flywheel on need to have sealer put on them as the holes are not blind. That might be the source of your oil. If the previous installer didn't use sealer, the bolts will weep, or you might just have a weeping rear main. Do some very close inspection when you pull the flywheel off and see if you can tell where the oil is coming from.

In regards to the two flywheel bolts that are missing: I would guess they are broken off, which isn't terribly uncommon but with two of them missing, I'd get the broken studs removed and replace them as you'll be adding sealer to the rest of the bolts.

That clutch/pressure plate sounds a little steep, but not terrible. One thing you might want to do while you are in there is to install the kevlar pilot bushing. I think somebody on here might sell them but if not do a quick google search and find the source, I believe they are about $40.

Good luck

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what is happening with your bolts. There are 10 holes in the flywheel...and 9 in the crankshaft. See the hole in the bottom of your picture..Lon witness marks from a bolt ever being there.

Now, not having that one bolt in there means there is an open hole into your crankcase as the holes in the flywheel go all the way through an require sealant.

If it were me, I would go buy a complete SMF kit. They come with all the bolts you need too(at least my autozone kit did)

This will get you the correct bolts and all th right parts to have a good working clutch setup. Mine was about 350 if I remember right with a coupon.

bigred*

Reaction score
That kit you linked is for a bmw lol, so i already have a single mass flywheel, im just trying to get a new clutch and pressure plate, mine measures at 12-1/4 inch wide and napa only offers one that size for $350, thats without a flywheel.. I can get one at autozone that is only 12 inches in diameter for $240, would that one work ok for me? The most ill be towing is a trailer full of dirt bikes and 4 wheelers.. And im guessing since i have a single mass flywheel i have to use one of those clutches with springs in it right? Cuz i can get a clutch for a dual mass flywheel for for like $150, but that clutch is a solid piece and doesnt have any of the springs

Ill get some sealer and get all my bolts back in there, thats no longer the issues, just trying to find the correct clutch

turbodidi

Reaction score
I'm shopping around for a new clutch as well, actually at clutch kits...
Seems to be plenty of options..just wondering what most people on here are using and whether I should go with a dual mass flywheel or solid?
What do you guys think? My truck is factory turbo with the fuel pump turned up a little, other than that it's stock. Thanks

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I used the 11 7/8 valeo with a new valeo dual mass flywheel. Smooth as silk. Be careful the flywheel bolts were metric and the stock 11" bolts were NC thread and they didn't come with the kit. I also used new ford flywheel bolts.Dual Mass Flywheel torque spec on turbo is 47 ft/lbs plus 45 degrees.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First question is who left out a bolt??? Thats just a crazy thing to do. Second ALL 9 bolts most be in the flywheel for several reasons. If one is missing like what you have pictured you wont have proper holding and there is now a hole directly to the oily side of the crankcase. Oil is going to gush out the open hole. That bolt is a very special bolt. Buy 9 new ones because you have no idea what these are now. They all REQUIRE sealant on the threads of oil leaks past the threads. That ruins the clutch no matter what someone tells you otherwise. The torque on this bolt is 47 lbs. Many clean the threads and use blue loctite. That seals and prevents loosening of the bolts till you want to loosen them. Some members have sheared off all the bolts before too because they loosened up. Not a chance you are going to be done today. Sorry to say this but I feel I have explained what others have attempted to explain in their posts. Do it right and do it once. Then enjoy the ride knowing its done right. These bolts are a certain length too. Use too long of a bolt and it bottoms out against the crank bearing journel radius. The threads are then rolled over on the end and its hell removing them.

bigred*

Reaction score
K thats good to know, ill get the bolts ordered, i went to carolina clutches and found the exact one, which they had for $180! But then $50 for shipping.. So i went to ebay and put the part number in found the exact same one for $177 with free shipping! So ill get that one ordered! And make sure to get those bolts in, i would bet money thats why my clutch was so oily, which is probably also why the clutch was so worn out, the truck only has 200k,and this is an after market clutch so i would imagine it has less then 100k on it maybe less then 50k and its looks like its been driven 3x that

bigred*

Reaction score
For turbodidi, i dont know the first thing about advantages from a dual mass to a single mass.. I would imagine the single mass weighs less, so less weight it has to spin right off the engine.. Other wise idk, what i do know is they offer the single mass as an "upgrade" rather then a replacement.. Also the dual mass uses an 11inch clutch and my single mass uses a 12-1/4" clutch, so more area to grip? And you can get the whole thing with the flywheel for $350

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
For turbodidi, i dont know the first thing about advantages from a dual mass to a single mass.. I would imagine the single mass weighs less, so less weight it has to spin right off the engine.. Other wise idk, what i do know is they offer the single mass as an "upgrade" rather then a replacement.. Also the dual mass uses an 11inch clutch and my single mass uses a 12-1/4" clutch, so more area to grip? And you can get the whole thing with the flywheel for $350
Na trucks cam with 11in dual mass and the factory turbo trucks came with a 11 7/8 in dual mass.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And as a reminder, as said before check your rear main seal while you have everything off. It's the easiest time to do it, plus you are waiting for the clutch so you've got a little time. Just my $.02

Good luck

bigred*

Reaction score
K well everything showed up and ive been trying to button it all back up, clutch matched exact, anyways im running into a problem and its driving me insane!!!!!!! The f#$&%* transmission wont go back on!! Me and my roomate have been out there for hours!! Then it finall got dark, when i swapped a zf5 into my bronco it took like 20 mins to line up and i jave no idea what im doing wrong, thinking maybe it was the throwout bearing pushing on the pressure plate i pulled that out, but that sure aint the problem! It feels like its just bot fitting into that little bearing in the flywheel, which that new bearing has the yellow grease in it and im not seeing any yellow grease on the tranny input shaft, the alignment tool still fits in, but its super tight, but it goes in so its straight, is there any trick im missing?? Ive literally wasted 4 hours sliding in and out, o cant remeber the last time i was this mad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online

No members online now.