Quick Question About Blow-By

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Don't mind the mess, was working on an install in this pic ;Sweet ..... So the other day when I pulled my turbo, the intake pipe and compressor side had a lot of oil in there. This is here because my CDR valve goes from the valve cover into the intake like this :

You must be registered for see images attach

My question for you all is what is considered excessive blow by? I am pulling my engine so if I have "excessive" blow-by I will fix that while the engine is apart. How much do you all find in your intake? I know that blow-by is "natural", just how much?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is why we screw with the CDR!
in effect, youre sucking in oil.
some people do a RDT.
some people build a catch can,
i made a RDT thats plumbed into the exhaust.
everyone said i would get oil in my exhaust.
i havnt noticed any.....

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
cookoo I feel dumb now.... Never really though about the whole "vacuum" effect. I will probably modify that while the engine is removed :p

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely your cdr is bad, unless your engine is really worn out or not properly cared for by previous owners. A quick way to check blow by is to pull the oil cap when the engine is running.

Here is a quick video of my old engine that the previous owner didn't change the oil filter for 30,000 +/- miles.

http://youtu.be/VAggOk5ID_A

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
It's a brand new CDR valve! I hope it ain't bad, that !@#$ was spendy from ford! I think I'm gonna RDT it haha! ;Sweet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they smoke alot, and drop oil where you dump it at....
experiment with it... youll find somthing that works for you....... eventually lol

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?67332-RDT-Into-Exhaust&highlight=road+draft+tube
This thread has some options to consider. Blow by is a funky aspect of these engines. You need to rout it back into the intake through the CDR or to the atmosphere using a road draft tube (RDT). If the crankcase pressure has nowhere to go it will push oil past the seals. I think some sort of catch can between the crankcase and CDR is the best solution. I have the same Hypermax turbo system as you, and even my catch can is still allowing some oil through. A better place to tap the crankcase vapors is a Banks style adapter on the injection pump gear cover. The valve cover is so close to the CDR on the Hypermax setup there isn't room to add a catch can.

Last edited: