Quick overdrive question!

oregon-mike

Reaction score
OK, nevermind on the GV question. He went out to the shop and read a DNE2 off a tag. That's a Doug Nash Enterprises OD unit correct? This came off of an 80s 2wd Ford with a 6.9 in it. How much work is it to get this to go into my truck (in my sig)? What controller box/CPU/electronics is missing? What is in the picture is what I get. He salvaged it from a truck that he scavenged the 6.9 from.

Thanks for any info all,
Mike

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know but for $100 its almost sure to be worth it if it will work on your truck. Like any other O/D its work to make it fit, but It will be worth it especially if you do a lot of highway driving to get those RPM down and your fuel economy up.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I don't know but for $100 its almost sure to be worth it if it will work on your truck. Like any other O/D its work to make it fit, but It will be worth it especially if you do a lot of highway driving to get those RPM down and your fuel economy up.

My same thought. I wouldnt hesitate whatsoever, tell that guy you will be there to pick it up in the near future. For $100 that is a steal, even if you still have to buy some things. Go for it man ;Sweet . Worst case scenario is that its busted or something, then your out only $100, but I bet you could probably get that back out of it selling it to someone else for a core or something.

Go for it

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are easy to wire up, the one I had out af a surburban just had a toggle switch to go in and out. If you get it make sure you use synthetic oil in it.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
OK, I went out and looked at it this afternoon. The input side of it assumes (according to the guy there) that the tail housing of the tranny is removable. I wasn't sure the E4OD was, in fact I confused myself while I was out there and thought about the entire tranny having to be disassembled to do something with the output shaft but then couldn't remember if that was for the ZF5 or the E4. cookoo

I did not buy it while I was there as I was worried about never getting it to work. I highlighted the portion on the input side that's supposed to bolt up to the back end of a C6 (80s F series diesel tranny right?) after removing the existing tailhousing. If that's doable on my E4 I'll be all over it. The unit turned by hand, 1:1 ratio so it's not shot. There are a couple of sending type units with no wires connected, a couple of wires to a solenoid looking device.

I had to assume that this was not an underdrive unit as who would buy that for an 80s F250 diesel without an overdrive tranny?

Anyway, if anybody has some input to actually bolting this thing up to the E4 in my pickup I'd appreciate it. If it's a total no-go for anything but a C6, does anybody here want it? I'd be happy to go pick it up for somebody from here if I can't use it and it'll help them.

Mike

Attachments

• overdrive2.jpg
    overdrive2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 13

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That Doug NAsh is now US Gear.. MAke sure you can get an adapter for your transmission before buying the thing. It looks like they make them , but it says ;92 and newer need special speed processor, it's probably going to add up., Of course for the price of the thing, you'll probably make part of it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online