Quick help? Sterling 10.25 parking brake/self adjuster assembly - order of assembly?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Second guessing myself here on putting the Sterling 10.25" (86 F-350, full float) self adjuster and parking brake lever assembly back on the pin that goes through the backing plate at top where shoes pivot. Diagram I found does not include the spring. Here is how I think it goes, from flat head of pin to threaded end, flat washer > spring > parking brake arm > parking brake pivot/wing > self adjuster cable > small pin with shoulder ... Then through the backing plate and nut on back. Correct or wrong? How does it go? Just want to button this side up tonight and not pull other side apart until another day.

You must be registered for see images attach

Diagram I found online does not show a spring at all and shows an order different than I recall, as well as less intuitive so far as how the small pin with shoulder OD fits the ID of the adjuster cable end and pivot/wing slotted hole. I suspect this is for a different axle or model.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Checked my '89 shop manual and it shows a different assembly, missing the flat washer.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Green light... Thanks man, I owe you a beer if we ever cross paths. Looks good assembled this way, everything lines up nice. Just buttoning it up now.

Brakes and bearings sure take a long time when you're dealing with stuff that has been neglected and abused for 30 years. All the time goes into completely stripping everything off blasting, painting, the backing plates, hubs, etc. Sure looks pretty all put back together but shame nobody but me will see any of it. I like to think it all functions better and will last longer. Once it's all clean and prepped/painted it goes together lickity split.

barr05

Reaction score
Your welcome. Beer is good too!

Man! You got really into it, glad mine just cleaned up good, still had paint on them. But they got all new shoes, drums, hardware and emergency brake cables. New stuff sure does make it easy to reassemble!

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Thats why with drum brakes i take one apart at a time. There are so many diferant arrangments for them its ridiculous.

barr05

Reaction score
You got it, and that's exactly how I do it too.. The fun ones are the ones that come apart and you hope and pray the other side is still together!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^ One-side-at-a-time rule was GOLDEN before the advent of digital photography. You could find yourself in a world of confusion by violating it. Nowadays I take pics from about 10 different angles before pulling a single pin/spring, but I still adhere to one side at a time. Nice thing about the pics is, you can throw 'em on a nearby computer and do a horizontal flip, to visualize the other side without having to "flip" it in your mind.

barr05

Reaction score
Never thought of doing the picture "flip" thing, will have to try to remember it for the next set I need to do.. Thanks for the idea! ;Sweet