Parking brake lever anti rattle spring, yes or no?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
On the RH side (haven't gotten to LH yet), I found a screwy little spring (looks half missing and stretched out) on the parking brake lever pivot bolt, under the big flat washer. It was poking out, and just didn't look right. The self adjusting cable is about to snap and they cost all of $2, so I took off the parking brake lever off to replace the cable adjuster. Here it was before I did so:

You must be registered for see images attach

The thing is, the Haynes/Chilton manuals don't show a spring there at all. But it also looks like it's wrong about tthe bushing on the exploded diagram. It shows the bushing going on the outside of the cam arm (unlabeled in the diagram) instead of inside. Red arrows point to what I am referring to:

This is how mine came apart. This is looking at it from the inside towards the outside. The nut at the end of the bolt goes against the outside of the backing plate. So yes, the busing has to be inside. It wouldn't fit together if it wasn't.

Upon Googling for general Bendix drum brake info, there IS an "anti rattle spring" made for that place between the "flat washer" and "parking brake lever". It rightfully shows the bushing inside of the "cam plate" too:

Here is the spring by itself. They seem to be the only source for the spring, at least that I can find:
https://torqueking.com/product/20012/qu20012-bendix-park-lever-spring/

They have it in a complete kit too, but I don't need all of it:
https://torqueking.com/product/7004...king-brake-lever-replacement-small-parts-kit/

Did Ford do away with that spring or something? Does it need that spring or no?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Dang. I might need to get a replacement pivot bolt and all. The splines on mine are a bit messed up where it links to the splines in bushing.

In addition, it DOES need a spring. The bushing sticks out beyond the assembled parts, so it has to have a spring to keep it all tight together. I was able to fix the old spring some by carefully bending it back into a coil. I suppose I could shim it with a larger center bore washer in place of the spring, if need be. It uses a lock nut so it can remain loose and moving for the pivot, without backing off.

I don't suppose someone on here who's parting out a dually has some old used parts (the bolt and bushing) in good used condition that they don't need? I might need it on the LH side too, so I might need 2 bolts and 2 bushings. $100 for two sets of hardware from torque king is pretty steep, just to replace a couple of bolts and bushings.

EDIT: Found a thread where someone else was asking about the spring on a 99 E250, but with no resolution: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1491044-e250-rear-drum-anchor-pin-part.html

Surely the trucks got them too?

EDIT 2: Not sure why I'm even messing with the parking brake since the center equalizer for the cables is broken/gone so I can't use the parking brakes right now. I just figured I'd fix it right while it's apart, in case I ever fix the equalizer problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.