questions about a mechanical lift pump

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
So my last lift pump lasted about 5k. It was a Napa pump that other guys here have said last a whole heck of allot longer than that. I had to replace that damn thing in a Mickie D's parking lot in Salt Lake City, and let me tell you it was a blast working on a hot engine like that!! Anyway I had to get another from Napa, and I am now worried that it will fail too.

Upon inspection of the pump (in the parking lot), it was EXTREAMLY easy to move the plunger arm back and forth, and of course it would flow NO air. The new one showed up courtesy of my wife (who walked to go pick it up while I got the bad one out ;Sweet) and it was very difficult to move, and flowed LOTS of air (in case anyone is wondering, the bad one just like the new one when I installed it).

I read when I installed the first pump that if you installed it wrong that it would run but not last very long. So I followed the instruction to the letter, and it still failed early (I really think I installed it right, and lets just just say this is not my first rodeo if my mechanical ability is in question). My question is, how can you install it wrong so that it will work, but not last as long. Seems to me if you get the pump in there, and on the lobe, its installed. Yeah you could get the plunger arm over the lobe, BUT than the rub marks would be on the wrong side of the plunger arm, and I don't see how it would run like that at all.

Did I get a fluke pump, or did I -cuss something up and I am too dumb to realize what I did.

PZ

PS I am asking because I agreed to help WMO guy do the lift pump on his '93 on Saturday, and figured I should make sure I am doing this right :)

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Wrong side of the lobe is the only way I know of to install it wrong.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Napa pump, Said made in USA but looked cheesy. I took it back and got a Delphi, A better quality pump IMO. And doesn't have that stupid arm on it.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant the arm with the ridiculous bend on it like the Napa pump has. The Delphi arm is like the stock pump.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must be lucky...almost 200,000 miles and I'm on #2 mech lift pump > heck, don't even recall when the OE went bad or where I purchased #2 from > maybe Pep Boys :dunno

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I must be lucky...almost 200,000 miles and I'm on #2 mech lift pump > heck, don't even recall when the OE went bad or where I purchased #2 from > maybe Pep Boys :dunno

Your not luckey... Most people have the same storey. I am eaither installing it wrong, or am unlucky.

PZ