Question on Dana 60s

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. It’s a little taller than I would of liked, but with the air ride rear I couldn’t lower the ass end anymore without major work. So I brought the front up to match.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I’d update you guys on the Dana 60 search. Picked one up for 350$ last weekend. Has one broken knuckle and some rust, but it also has Dually hubs and 4.11s. Seems that someone has taken an angle grinder to the top ball Joints, but that shouldn’t be a big deal. I figure new ball joints, bearings, seals, used knuckle, panhard bar, U Bolt Plates, and linkage shouldn’t be too expensive. The internals will probably be the most expensive. Here we go!

You must be registered for see images attach

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the part numbers I used on my D60 rebuild and swap; might help you with BJ, seals and all your steering stuff. Link in my signature.

Damn those dually hubs are UGLY :eek:

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
do not use the D50 springs from a 80-98 truck on a D60 swap. RSK or not. will the D60 bolt up? yes. will you experience misery like noones business? MOST CERTAINLY. the D50 springs are arched the wrong way for a D60. As far as using the '99 and up axles and springs, I cannot speak with any authority whatsoever. but I do know 80-98

True Towcat, very true. Last yr I did a D60 Kingpin axle swap (about an '89 axle) & used the 2 leaf springs from a '94 Dana 50. Stuck all this in my '90 CC Dually 2 wheel drive. Built my own RSK. This thing beats me, I fought death wobbles, etc, etc., everything!

I'm in the process (while the truck is currently down on some other stuff) of redoing the front end & axle & springs.
My question is: Everyone talks about using SD springs.....What are SD springs? Or rather what years should I be looking for? I've seen reference to different codes etc, but I have no idea what I should be looking for.
My truck is sort'a heavy, about 9700# gross. I have a 4" body lift, a 3" frame lift. This D60 is centered in the wheelwell.
These D50 2 leaf springs are approx 24" in front half, 28 1/2" in rear half. I have room to play with moving my D60 approx 1" either way in the wheelwell. Would rather move forward a bit if I have to. I can redo my front hangers.

As of now I nearly wouldn't mind finding a longer spring so I could move my rear shackle a little farther back & get it away from my cab mt. A positive arch spring can/will work if it's not too much.
Any ideas be greatly appreciated!!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think when folks refer to "SD" springs they're Super Duty F250 starting in 1999 4x4 trucks. Here's a couple pics illustrating the difference between 80-98 factory D-50 & D-60 springs.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Thanks catbird.
Been wondering if I should start a new thread???

Did some digging round on the net & found some info on the different codes of springs etc. Near as I can find the SD springs '99 & up are longer (55 5/8") than the '98 & down. The D50 springs I currently have on are approx 52 1/2"

I also have a set of 5 leaf springs with about a 4" arch & RSK off about a '00 Excursion that I been eyeballing. Don't know the rating on them or any code, but they look somewhat beefy. More I look at things more I just may do it. I got to get a better ride somehow!!!

I'd have to re-do my front hangers & move forward. But I already got a hard steering pull toward the rt ditch anyway (about nearly a 1/4 steering wheel's worth) So I got to re-do some things anyway.
I've measured & measured things. I'm about 1/4" longer on pass. side than drivers side from rear axle to front D60. As I see things this axle got to be put in correct place the 1st time cuz there's no adj that I know of.

Anybody got any thoughts or ideas at all?? I'm open to anything!! I'm nearly wishing I'd gone with that D50 setup I have when I changed this thing to 4x4 from 2x4.
This thing is a '90 CC Dually that's 9700#++ with everything I have on/in it.
TIA

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long time update on the Dana 60 rebuild. The ball joints were sawed in half at the tops and when removing the knuckles the top ball joint stayed in the inner knuckle. So I removed it with a hammer and pointed chisel. I have new knuckles, ball joints, steering, panhard bar, pumpkin leaf perch. I’m going to need new hubs and rotors. Everything is rusted to crap and this has definitely been the toughest rebuild I’ve attempted. The dust shields rusted apart completely and sealed the spindles to the knuckle. Nice to see everyone is still here!

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. if you ttb guys are looking for a slight lift 2” then go with Custom Suspension 2” lift or ATS 2” lift. I wouldn’t ever lift a ttb like how I did before, the SOB rode worse than the 7.3 international skid truck we drove this summer. “5 leaf soft ride springs” my ass, took 1 spring out and threw in the smaller drop brackets and she rides 80% better, the SPRINGS actually flex this time.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axle sanded down for rust, painted with POR-15. Two coats, and “Kubota” orange on the axle cover. Still waiting for the carrier shims before I put my powertrax grip loc in! Lots of work, but it looks so good!

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it so far! Does anyone know if the RSK for bullnose trucks and OBS springs sit as far forward? I’m doing my 4x4 conversion this year but do a good bit of pushing with my front bumper. I plan on running 35”s and having a stance like diesel crawlers.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it so far! Does anyone know if the RSK for bullnose trucks and OBS springs sit as far forward? I’m doing my 4x4 conversion this year but do a good bit of pushing with my front bumper. I plan on running 35”s and having a stance like diesel crawlers.
Here’s what it looks like on the older frames

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I got the Dana 60 under the F250 last night and waiting on one tie rod end and a adjustable panhard bar! I’ll order an RSK in the future, stuck between the SKY kit for 80-91.5 frames or a PMF kit!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online