Question kinda off the wall

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a pioneer supertuner III in my 94 and I was NOT impressed with the factory speakers. My 93 had much better sounding speakers in it. Does anyone know if Ford changed em between 93 and 94?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Not that i know of. I dont think 93s came with anything but standard grade speakers.

If u are really into a good sounding stereo that wont blow the budget pick up some Infinity Reference replacement speakers and at least a 50x4 amp (Crutchfield has em on sale now). If u are really frugal u can try Pioneer 3 way speakers from Wal-Mart. Biggest thing to remember is adding an amp to power the speakers, typical headunit only has 12-15w rms.

Personally, i run Infinity speakers in my trucks and my g/fs Ranger. All are driven by old US Acoustics amps i bought off e-bay that were refurbished and warrentied.

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your quesh but, factory speakers will never compare to good aftermarket replacements.

But yea, my '94 has pretty awful sound, I have a cd player I intend to put in, but I just enjoy hearing the engine too much :D

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May have to do the aftermarket thing then the stereo is a 45 by 4 which should be plenty ahhh well the mods never stop do they LOL thanks guys for the info.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
start with the basics.are you sure you didn't wire the speakers so they are out of phase?
all it takes is just 1 and the sound is ruined,because with reversed +/- the speaker will "thump" inward instead of outward.no good lol.

fyi,im running these (direct fitment for our ford trucks) and they are nice and clear for the $.
check 'em out.like amazon.com reviews etc.im really enjoying 'em.
Pioneer 4-Way Premier A-series Front 6.5" Speakers #TSA1683R
Pioneer 4-Way Premier A-series Rear 6x8" Speakers #TSA6882R

Last edited:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
the 45x4 is max power, continous or RMS is more like 20. get a good amp that can push at least 50x4 and it'll be like ur listening to ur favorite artist in concert. and the addtional amp draw wont be noticed at all.

Last edited:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
only thing i noticed with the pioneers, especially the 4 ways, is the highs are kind of brassy...but thats only when i listen to metal. the bass on em isnt bad, but kind of muddy...but like i said my set up is usually at 20 on the volume or more :-D

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford had premium sound option on our trucks
that did include better speakers but still crap compared to a 20$ set today
i got a 250$ head unit and 40 dollar speakers it sounds great
the speakers were from pepboys got um close out for 5 bucks

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a pioneer supertuner III in my 94 and I was NOT impressed with the factory speakers. My 93 had much better sounding speakers in it. Does anyone know if Ford changed em between 93 and 94?

This was a response to a PM I received... since the sender had read I used to do Car audio design and installs for a while. Certified Rockford Fosgate installer and Also Orion.

Absolutely happy to offer some time honored tips n tricks...

ONE
6 1/2' speakers will fit but you need to open up the speaker hole in the door quite a bit...I use an angle grinder and open it up carefully then file sharp edges rounded...do this before wood...

WOOD is yer friend...no matter what speaker you use in your front doors (or anywhere) wood is yer best friend! I suggest you do what you can to make a decent back board you can install in behind the metal door panel on the inside, start with a cardboard template then transfer to; 3/4" MDF is best...less resonant. Use a gasket or some type of sound material on the wood in between the metal door and wood, then screw or bolt that wood too the door really well. (cut out speaker hole first BTW...)

When I do my truck properly I'll do a tech article for the tech area With Lotsa pics

SECOND As for speakers...All I can say is take a listen to lots (with your usual music) at a variety and at several locations. Selection is subjective based on your personal taste (and budget) Try to get the volumes equal when you switch cause often the louder speaker SEEMS better when in reality it's not. This is an old sales trick BTW..:sly

Head units are again subjective....narrow down the speakers first...they are what you actually listen too. Then and only then...start head unit comparisons. NO ONE EVER HEARS A HEAD UNIT...it's ultimately the speakers!

Now it's all features and such that your looking at and power output. Don't be swayed by blingy lights..they can be distracting. Think about ergonomics...how will you be actually changing volume and or other functions...FOR ME I always try to get a rotating volume knob, simple to reach over and twist up/down for basic volume. Since that is the most used function that's what I suggest and go from there...reaching over for a toggle button up/down is often more difficult than a basic rotating knob...think about it play with them.

Next is do you want deck power to front and rear speakers? This is always a good way to start, also consider having 3 low level outputs for amp/s either a 5 channel or three 2 channels or two 2's and a single...think modular expansion...start with deck power to 4 speakers with an option to add a sub amp on one low level output. Then when you want to you can maybe add a 4 channel amp and drop deck power and use a dedicated amp for your doors and rear.

Amps are quite basic and any decent brand would do you well....Rockford Fosgate, Orion, Soundstream are some top end units, then MTX, Kicker and then your basic units from Alpine, Sony Kenwood etc...it's all budget related alway try for the best...speakers/ deck/ amp in that order....

Subs are dependent on space available. Without getting into a large discussion there are lots of decent 10's and 12's that can work decent in a smaller enclosure that depending on speaker can work well together... Kicker, MTX, good decent speakers, I am only touching a few brands and I know that there are tons...probably some I don't know about cause I don't keep up anymore.

My system is decent speakers, in truck NOW, not great decent though. in wood in rear, not door yet... and I have to build my sub box for a 12"fosgate sub. I'll be running my 4 channel amp for doors and rears and a sub amp too...as well as I am kinda partial to Pioneer brand head units...good radios!!

I suggest decent wire to speakers...it does make a difference....not so much brand as size, 12 or 10 guage kicks the **** outta 18 - 22gua wire hands down...it does sound better...don't believe me...test yer home system with piddly wire...then try big stuff...notice the richer base?

As installing a head unit, try if your harness is not HACKED...to get an adapter about 14 bucks that snaps right into the factory harness. or not...

Hope this helps but always remember to listen to your music on the speakers at a volume you would like...and compare them back an forth, then find a head unit with features you like, consider future upgradability and what you may want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat