Question for the hydroboost conversion folks.

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack but I'm gonna do this conversion sometime and was wondering which pump and bracket I need; I know it's a saginaw, if someone could just post a link from rockauto or something that would be great. I know they have em in salvage yards but would rather get a new one and not have any reliability issues.

Your stock pump will do. Just buy the power steering lines for the super duty along with the hydroboost unit. I went the rock auto route and bought everything new because I didn't want salvage yard parts in what I consider the most important part of the towing equation. I got all the necessary parts including all new rubber brake lines as a precaution for under $350 shipped. That included a brand new, not rebuilt, Motorcraft hydroboost unit. Although I bought everything but the mastercylinder last year.

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of difference was it? In theory, the larger master cylinder bore will give you less pedal travel, and also less pressure. But the hydroboost might overcome the less pressure. Some smart people designed this system, so I would suspect it would work better as designed, just curious what you found out.

Much more positive grabbing power. Less pedal presure to stop and feels as if I were to give it a quick stomp it would lock em up. Didn't feel that way with the stock 1 1/8 master cylinder. I would say the difference between the two master cylinders is just as noticeable as the difference between the vacuum booster and hydroboost.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Your stock pump will do. Just buy the power steering lines for the super duty along with the hydroboost unit. I went the rock auto route and bought everything new because I didn't want salvage yard parts in what I consider the most important part of the towing equation. I got all the necessary parts including all new rubber brake lines as a precaution for under $350 shipped. That included a brand new, not rebuilt, Motorcraft hydroboost unit. Although I bought everything but the mastercylinder last year.

Well I have to replace the pump and bracket regardless as they are destroyed currently, so can anybody get me a line on the saginaw pump and bracket? Thanks in advance!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well I have to replace the pump and bracket regardless as they are destroyed currently, so can anybody get me a line on the saginaw pump and bracket? Thanks in advance!

Right now , you may be a bit out of luck on the pump. Hopefully the catalogs are not all screwed up on getting a complete superduty pump with the dual inlets, but I tried to get a replacement reservoir for one and currently ALL of the parts suppliers have a major screw up and its the same one , so unfortunately you cannot purchase a replacement superduty reservoir for love or money right now. I tried every stinking one of the brands and they all came back the wrong one, they all came in as a single return inlet, they show a dual in the catalogs and the compuiters, but the boxes all contain the single, so it will likely be about the time the next catalogs come out next year that it gets straightened out.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Right now , you may be a bit out of luck on the pump. Hopefully the catalogs are not all screwed up on getting a complete superduty pump with the dual inlets, but I tried to get a replacement reservoir for one and currently ALL of the parts suppliers have a major screw up and its the same one , so unfortunately you cannot purchase a replacement superduty reservoir for love or money right now. I tried every stinking one of the brands and they all came back the wrong one, they all came in as a single return inlet, they show a dual in the catalogs and the compuiters, but the boxes all contain the single, so it will likely be about the time the next catalogs come out next year that it gets straightened out.

Well what year model's will fit, and what about mating to the bracket?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well what year model's will fit, and what about mating to the bracket?

You can *try* getting the one for your year and see what happens. They may not have screwed up complete pumps, just if the first one comes in as a single return, don'twaste your time trying to find a dual. I wound up having to jus tput a T in the return line and go that way.

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had the same problem last year when I did my conversion. I ended up adding an inlet myself. Sounds like it's still screwed up-cuss Unfortunatly I think some manufactures are starting to write us off given the age of our trucks (e.g. ATS, these folks). I wouldn't hold my breath that they figure it out next year:mad:

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
If you really want the Saginaw, try one for a late 1970s Continental. They were factory with a Saginaw AND hydroboost. I still had to get a bracket for the pump out of a van at the JY.