Question about E4OD mod...

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to do the mod where you put the lockup converter on a switch on the dash.

My plan is to have 2 of them. One will be Auto setting and off, and the other will be on and off only.

The Auto setting is for when anyone else might be driving it, and the off/on is for me only(probably going to hide it or something...

Anyway, what I'd like to know is there anyone that has this mod, and once you flip the torque converter to lockup position, can the tranny still shift while the converter is locked?

An example would be if you were coming down a grade with the lockup on, and then hit the OD button to drop down into 3rd from 4th. Do you have to manually unlock the TC first before making the shift.

Same idea on the upshift. If you were on the hwy at say 45 in 3rd with the TC locked, could you just shift into OD without worrying about the TC?

Thanks

Zigg :)

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Zig,

I got one on my truck and it shifts great. Upshifting is the way it should be no over reving and downshifting is great also. Only problem is remembering to sitch it off. I built this one hook up the same as the powrstroke. Whats the auto setting one your talking about. The one I build is either on or it isn't.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, why have two switches? Why not use a double-pole-double-throw switch that combines the functions? Basically, you'd have ON, OFF, AUTO. You could still hide this switch if you're worried about others messing with it...

Just a thought... :)

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
AFter I lock my TC it shifts fine-As said you have to remember to unlock it B4 stopping.Upshifts are firm no slippage-less heat when pulling hard & you don't have that annoying slippage every time you lift your foot on the accelerator.Also when loaded going down hill it helps hold the truck back like a manual would. I believe it does wonders to extend the TC life. My converter is fine with 225,000 miles on it. I simply tapped into the wire on the PCM to the trans lockup sloinoid ran it to the switch to ground. For me it has been fine -but now warrenty is implied.

snatchal

Reaction score
I have the mod and yes you can still hit the OD button to drop down into 3rd from 4th. Great for going down a long grade. I like the idea of having an auto position too. Not a bad idea to hide the switch, a friend was using my truck to plow snow and called to tell me that everytime he turned the plow lights on the truck was running rough. turned out he was trying to start and stop with the converter locked:eek:

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks you guys, that's exactly what I was after....

Geez I love this site...

Zigg :thumbsup: