Putting a 6.9l in a 78 f150?

Matt123

Reaction score
Iam probly gonna buy a 78 f150 this weekend that has a 400 in it with probly 217,*** miles on it, so its pretty tired and i think it be neat to put something like the 6.9 in it and plus it would be cheaper then the cummins. any body ever do this before or have any information on it?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iam probly gonna buy a 78 f150 this weekend that has a 400 in it with probly 217,*** miles on it, so its pretty tired and i think it be neat to put something like the 6.9 in it and plus it would be cheaper then the cummins. any body ever do this before or have any information on it?
Everything I've read says that the F250 (smallest truck they ever put an IDI in) has an F350 frame and suspension. The F150 on the other hand has a much lighter frame and suspension. They won't handle the 800+ pounds of weight from the IDI without MAJOR reinforcement....

Or so I've read. Ford tried putting the IDI in FS Broncos - which is basically an F150 short box frame - and they didn't hold up well enough for them to make it into a production option. HOWEVER, I have seen write-ups on the 'net indicating that at least a couple of people have converted their FS Broncos to an IDI - though how much they beefed up the frame and suspension and how well they are holding up I don't know.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
talk to agnem his is the later body style but i dont think he had to do much to get his diesel in. he also has some reasurch on the testing ford did, i think basically the frames didnt survive the drop testing they were doing to the trucks to there liking. so if you arent doing whop do whos on dirt tracks with a little reinforcement you should be fine.

i beleive IDieselman has the body style truck you are looking for with a diesel in it.

i am currently trying to stuff one in my jeep and i think it will be fine with some rienforcement. people have stuffed pumped up big blocks into them without much trouble.:D

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
defintly get the coils from a donor diesel or it will sag bad kid here did one to a 84 swb 1/2 4x4 so far so good don't know how long the d-44 will hold up?

6.9 donor get the trany with it I have also seen a 78 f-250 4wd with a diesel (I drove it loved it)

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIeselman has a 6.9 in a sweet '79 F-350 too. he could help let you know what was involved to get it stuffed in the older body too.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're best off doing a diesel swap into a 3/4 ton or higher.

If you want to repower your 1/2 ton, I'd suggest a 351M which is a destroked 400. It will bolt directly in place and have enough power to do anything a truck needs to do. (Note that a 351W will NOT bolt directly in as it is a different engine family).

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Matt, The frame and axle will hold up just fine, as they were built much better back then. Just think how many half ton 78-79's you have seen running built 460's (720LBS dry) and jumping 6-10 feet off the dunes repeatedly with no ill effects. I say go for it and if you need any help send me a PM and I'd be glad to see you along on this project. Tim

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fully assembled and filled 6.9 weighs just under 1000 pounds. There is a lot of mass there to hold up with just a 1/2 ton suspension.

I would recommend that you either beef the suspension or start with something that has a 3/4 ton frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online