Purdy IH

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
My boss's father-in-law works for a school bus company. The owner of the school bus company like to buy "toys" for hmself. This is his "tonka truck" a 7400 IH. He has only used it once for himself. The other two times he has "loaned" it out to his employes for use at their homes. The truck has every option and chrome that can be put on it. He hauled limestone in for our shop parking lot. This thing is hard to look at in the sun. You can see the reflection of our cars that are parked about 15 feet away in the bed of the truck. Differance between men and boys is the price of their toys. I want one. Russ

Attachments

• cindys dumptruck.jpg
    cindys dumptruck.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 46

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love it. What DT did he get with it? Some people have all the toys, don't they?

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Nice truck but too much shiny stuff for me a basic aluminum box looks better or a good painted steel box. That shiny thing will show all the dents and other damage.

Not much call for single axles around here because the rate on them is 50-55 dollars per hour and a tandem is 65 per hour. Usually the only time a single gets used is a place where a tandem won't go. The problem with that is if a tandem won't go down the road or driveway its a place you don't want to go down period.

Most of the landscapers stick with 1 and 1.5 ton dumps and tell the homeowners tough luck your driveway is too small for a big truck so you have to pay 40 dollars per hour for their truck LOL .

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pacific said:
Nice truck but too much shiny stuff for me a basic aluminum box looks better or a good painted steel box. That shiny thing will show all the dents and other damage.

Not much call for single axles around here because the rate on them is 50-55 dollars per hour and a tandem is 65 per hour. Usually the only time a single gets used is a place where a tandem won't go. The problem with that is if a tandem won't go down the road or driveway its a place you don't want to go down period.

Most of the landscapers stick with 1 and 1.5 ton dumps and tell the homeowners tough luck your driveway is too small for a big truck so you have to pay 40 dollars per hour for their truck LOL .

Some people actually LIKE there trucks, just to like them, and not beat the snot out of them, so your rules don't apply.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to have a new, shiny, overpowered version of what I have now.:cry:

Until then, this one is great for me! ;Sweet

One great thing about a single axle is that it's nice to tow with and back a trailer with.
Tandems are nice, too, until you have to pay for it, pay to register it and pay FET on it. :puke:

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Duke, I think this one has the 466 in it. but not sure. This truck will not be abused, that's for sure. He has lots of cool toys, trucks, bull dozers, back hoes, kubuta tractors with a bucket. No real "work" use for them, just cleaning up around the bus garage, home and to help others out every now and then.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GRuss,

Where's New Brighton? I'm near Philly!

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
It doesn't take much to put a dent in a gravel box especially if you are hauling pit run. The only thing that doesn't damage a box is topsoil or bark mulch but even then all it takes is one careless loader operator and damage is done.

I bet that polished box cost more than a regular aluminum box that would fit a tandem axle (16'6").

Dump trucks are meant for work that extra chrome stuff doesn't get work done. I like aluminum wheels and the jockey boxes and the other cab adornmnents but the box is way too much shiney stuff.

To tell you the truth a International powered with a 466 would be the low powered spec'ed truck the same truck with 10litre power is better. The reason being is more power :D plus you get a engine that has a JAKE and not a potato stuffed in the exhaust pipe (exhaust brake). I looked at the International website and you only can get a 7600 single axle with ISM power 320hp 1150 tq with a 13spd.

The single axle plow trucks I worked with had M-11 power (300hp) full jake lots of power it would make a 35,000lb truck scream down the road. The old Internationals with 466 power wouldn't even come close to the trucks with M-11 power all with 35,000lb gvws.

As I meantioned other times before most single axle trucks are lacking enough braking power even trucks with air lack brakes. A true Jake helps alot without one you really need to use the gears and pull the seat out of your *** when you go down a hill too fast LOL

The Cummins L-10 M-11 were known for decent holding Jakes the 3306 Cat wasn't too bad. You know when a truck is L-10 or M-11 powered by the sound of the JAKE rapp its usually a higher pitched sound.

A truck like Dukes could have a L-10 under the hood the cab would probably require a dog house and the engine would sit half in the cab like a L-9000 Ford. A L-10 and 13spd in Dukes truck would make it one hell of a hauler being 4x4 plus it has the power to travel down the highway. He would beable to pull 7OD most of the time and go down hills with the JAKE on and maybe touch the brakes once.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pacific,

There's nobody on this board more utilitarian or practical than I.

You're probably right that the bed is a lot of window dressing, but some folks have the coin, and they want to spend it the way they wish. I have a neighbor who cuts 3 acres of grass with a huge John Deere 4x4 100HP farm tractor with an air-conditioned cab. :eek: I think it's overkill, since the tractor is made to cut more like 30 acres, but it's what he always wanted.

If I had that kind of money I'd do something different, too, but let's not discourage others from sharing pictures & experiences with trucks & upgrades because they're different from your idea of what's right or pratical.

The other thing to remeber is that lower powered mediums like mine do a fine job in the type of area I live. You would never want to drive a heavily loaded truck very fast around here on these old farm roads.

And just an FYI: All IH DT family engines have engine brake capability:

http://www.navistar.com/assets/pdf/466_570_Bro_SINGLE.pdf?src=1

Last edited:

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Oh, no. I sense a past poster from TDS. Seems someone over there NEVER had anything good to say about anyone elses truck. Always had the answer to the question nobody asked :Whatever:

Now, who knows who I am thinking of???................hint, hint: KENWORTH

BTW, ;Sweet truck

Last edited:

DirtFarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GRuss said:
My boss's father-in-law works for a school bus company. The owner of the school bus company like to buy "toys" for hmself. This is his "tonka truck" a 7400 IH. He has only used it once for himself. The other two times he has "loaned" it out to his employes for use at their homes. The truck has every option and chrome that can be put on it. He hauled limestone in for our shop parking lot. This thing is hard to look at in the sun. You can see the reflection of our cars that are parked about 15 feet away in the bed of the truck. Differance between men and boys is the price of their toys. I want one. Russ

Looks great! I too, would be scared to use it. That first ding would hurt! :)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freightrain said:
Now, who knows who I am thinking of???................hint, hint: KENWORTH
You sound like you're surprised. ;) Pacific's actually openly admitted that he's KW with a new screen name. I have yet to find a "senior" member who takes him seriously...

Back on topic, while that truck isn't my cup of tea, she is a sweet lookin' rig :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online