pump swap

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the new pump in. i checked the FSS and i heard it click. or so i thought. i started it up after bleeding the air out and vroooom. no throttle, and no shut off:puke: i was prepared so i loosened the supply line on the filter and shut it down. it was only running about 2300 so i was worried about blowing it. sounded good. ran great. but no shut off. how do i fix this. if it is wiring where would the likely place be that it would not be running to?
the old pump turns and i can see the fuel screw turning but it turns really free and then almost locks up:dunno i really need to get it on the road asap. i am down 2 days now and my customers are wondering why they have a big hole in their garage and no one is there working on it. ( i am in the middle of a garage addition. more like a barn, with really expensive siding)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did you let it run before you shut it down....some surging is normal when you have air in there 2300 is not exactly running away...btdt. It is worrisome about no shutoff, you say yo have the "click" when 12v is applied and taken away? Are you really sure? Double check it. If you go for another start you can shut off a running away IDI by having a clean solid piece of plywood or clipboard to clap over the intake or squeezing the rubber return line on the top of the IP with vice grips. This will pressurize the hydraulic head and shutoff the engine. Something's definitely not right with the 6.9 pump locking up at times. It should make a slight clicking noise with slight resistance, no locking up or oddball sounds when turned by hand...but apparenntly the shaft didn't snap so it should be at least good for a core...

suv7734

Reaction score
Possibly you have the FSS and cold advance solenoid wires reversed on the IP connections? This would mean the FSS will have power until the engine reaches 112* and the cold advance solenoid will operate as long as the key is turned on. The high idle could be a number of things but I wouldn't worry about it until you get then shutoff issue resolved.