pump mods practice and theroy

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
biggin you asked for it

Db2 injection pump how to article
You must be registered for see images attach

First most the don't try this at home warning.

If you wish to change anything with the pump you need to know a few things.
You need a pyrometer to monitor you're egt (exhaust gas temperature) the egt will tell you in relation how hot the combustion chamber is getting. Any temps above 1000 F should be avoided as a general rule.
I would recommend mounting the pyro probe in a few locations. On a Na motor you can put it in the manifold or just below on the exhaust pipe. On a turbo motor you can mount it the same place as a Na motor or by the turbo on the turbo intake side somewhere. These locations will help to best monitor the temperatures inside your motor.
Mess with the pump at your own risk, I will give a general guideline for most cases, but still even with in a accepted safe zone issues can occur.

Now on to the fun stuff actually modifying stuff.

The high idle mod. This mod is used to raise up the idle of the motor. There are two main uses, running lots of electronics or long periods at idle. This solenoid is mounted on the side of the ip within the throttle linkage. In stock form it is controlled by a coolant temp sensor that will activate the solenoid and manually push up the throttle lever when the engine is cold. Now the ford idis are known to have low oil pressure at idle thus idling the vehicle for extended periods over time can cause upper drive train damage. So to put this high idle solenoid on a switch you don't have much to do. There are two ways to do this. First disconnect the wire going to this solenoid and run a fused switched hot to it then turn on and off as necessary. The second will keep the stock function run a 3 position switch (on-off-on) and have the stock wiring extended to one terminal and the new wiring from a fused hot to the other. Then finally run your current out wire to the solenoid.

The timing advance mod. Now in stock form the timing advance works similar to the high idle solenoid but it advances the timing to keep the motor running when cold. The spade terminal for this is on the top of the ip. There are 2 wires the larger connector is the fuel shutoff solenoid (fss) wire this wire turns on and off the fuel with your key. The second (a standard spade connector) is the timing advanced solenoid(the one closest to the firewall). This is just like turning the distributor on your gas motor same theory and idea but with a electronic switch to do it. Now messing with this has had good and bad results. But that aside if you wish to proceed you can do it just the same as the high idle solenoid with or without the 3 position switch. Once done you will have the ability to bump your timing up a few degrees when ever wanted or needed. But this has its faults too. I have heard of motor damage form over use but when it is used you have tons of power and fun. Yet the final reason why this is even mentioned is that if you live in a cold climate and find you must idle in the garage or hold rpms till the motor warms up you will find the user control of this function a pleasant addition to your truck.

So this is the most common mod simply turning up the fuel screw. The fuel screw is located on the passenger side of the pump under a triangular plate held on by 2 very small bolts. Simply unhook the throttle linkage, remove the plate (I recommend only removing the top bolt and loosening the bottom). So after you spun this plate over you will need to disconnect the fss wire mentioned under the timing advanced mod. This wire will prevent your motor from starting as you turn the crank. Then with a big wrench turn the motor over (clockwise) till the timing marks line up once they do look in the hole if you cant see the screw in there turn another 180 degrees on the crank. Then put a 5/32 allen wrench in the screw unscrew one or two flats of the wrench. Re assemble and take for a test spin watching the egt gage closely. As an addition you can also disconnect the fss wire and hit the starter to turn the motor over (this is not near as accurate and can deplete the battery but works). One final thing to add if you cannot find the screw then your balancer could be installed wrong or off so you'll have to look closer to make sure.
a more detailed link http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Injection%20pump%20adjustment%20article.htm

The don't steal me mod. simply put the fss wire (see timing advanced) on a switched hot. You can run it from the battery or a keyed hot. Then hide it away and unless someone really knows these trucks they will think its out of fuel.

Torque screw info. Feel free to add I haven't messed with one yet. The torque screw is located on the back of the pump above where the lines attach to the pump. 93 and up pumps should have this but your older truck could with a reman pump on it. This screw will change the torque curve making the torque come in sooner or later.

Timing adjustments. Messing with the timing without a timing meter is not recommended but knowing what to do can help in a pump swap or diagnosing issues. To change your timing loosen the 3 bolts that hold the ip to the ip cover. Then turn toward the passenger side to advance timing. Then re tighten the bolts. Stock timing is 8.5 degrees before top dead center. This usually winds up having the pumps timing line about 1/8th inch more towards the passenger side than the housing mark.
If you have a timing meter or know of a shop that does and would like your name or the shops name on here pm me or post it ill add you for reference.
Mel user name agnem is in pa and has been willing to help anyone time their truck for a good meal I hear and he has a timing clinic at all the rallys so maybe hell chime in

Last edited:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more internal stuff

the gov spring was covered very well by dyoung hopefully someone will post his link for me

ok i do not want to confuse anyone here so this will be simple but if you have questions ask

now for some theroy the pump can be enhanced a few ways

one is to use a larger piston (sometimes refered to as a plunger). this goes back to the brake system thing where a pig piston pushing fluid on a smaller piston creates a bigger force on the smaller piston. aka more flow

one other thing is a db2/4 hybrid. again this is more flow of fuel basiclly you mount a db4 pump to the db2 ford adaptor housing this will allow the larger more powerful pump to push more fuel. but to do this you will need to get larger lines to keep up. a while back there was an article on the net on this some guy used it on a 6.9 pulling truck and he put the pump on and got minimal gains then once the lines were swapped out it really perked up

now for another theroy
the db2 was a really common pump in its day john deer even used it in some applications along with other ih industrial motors
now one jd application had larger piston and ports to support the fuel consumption of a 9l(iirc) motor this beast was a v8 like our trucks and was very uncommon in a limited production for combines that needed lots of low end power

now you can also change timing internally on these pumps by clocking the heads where fuel goes to the injectors (you must remove the whole pump dissassemble fully and put back together) but if you want to do this take 2 or 3 pumps apart first and run them on a motor you plan to replace lots of damage can occur here if done wrong

some machine shops can flow port things (very expensive) but they have a liquid with some abrasive that will flow through the area that needs enlarged. this is an option to get more flow once a piston is increased the prots fron piston to injector line port are a fixed size and can only flow so much

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now one more thing ill take pics to explain a lot of this if people show interest here and edit with the pics

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet everyone add if ya want me to add some pics and more details

gatorman21218

Reaction score
for the high idle, if you just add 12volts to it it will cause your cold advance to come on as well. You dont want the engine running that far advanced for very long. there is a tech article on how to add a diode to manually switch the high idle on while leaving the cold advance off.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rjjp very good read thats where i learned a lot about these
gatorman yes and no if you just hook up the high idle solinoid to 12v it will do fine for extended times but just the high idle the wire that goes to one also goes to the other
so if disconnected they work independant

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with 99 views i think this dictates pics and more details so ill go more in depth

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if anyone has a old pump (non working or working) theyd like to send me i can use that for better pics and some tear down and install writeups

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can take some pix of my new pump for us, I don't have an old one for ya sorry

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agnem had a post with a pump all tore down and parts layed out if you can find it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you got my interest keep going. i also saved some posts by another member a while back that explained about putting a DB4 body on to get more fuel flow. will have to see if i can find the info now.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jred post it up man
old bull that was a moose pump too
and i want to explain some common internal parts and a basic how it works maybe even a cutaway
commander thatd be nice my pump is well old looking a new one will show better if you want take some pics of all the parts i listed and post them up youre pump will be cleaner and if its off the truck thatll be sweet

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or jred email it to me and ill put in my original post where needed pm me for my email

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online