Pulling motor on 6.9

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never pulled a motor before, but I'm not totally a dummy. What's the easiest way to do it and any special tools I need?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, a forklift or crane is a good start....

Nothing too critical, pull radiator, fan, trans, exhaust, wiring, etc etc, and lift out. It's something like 1200 lb though, so that's generally the biggest issue. Regular engine hoist can't really get the lift/weight capacity to do it. I've always used a forklift/front end loader or rigged an a-frame. I've also been able to get them in/out with the trans attached, but you have to have 2 hoist lines to be able to control the angle. I understand a fair number of folks have done it by pulling the entire radiator support assembly off and going out through the front but I've never done it this way.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^not necessarily "out the front."
But prevents having to raise it so high. For those of us using a cherry picker, helps keep the pucker factor down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Special tools would be a heavy duty cherry picker, if you need to rent. Also a heavy duty engine stand. Harbor Freight does not sell equipment strong enough to handle the weight.

If you are doing this on the 85, you don't have to pull the hood. Unbolt the springs and leave the hinges attached, you can tie the hood up vertically and out of the way.

Otherwise, everything is pretty straight forward, take off as many of the accessories as you can to reduce the weight you have to lift.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
which motor are you talking about?
starter motor, blower motor, wiper motor??

ALL motors are electric.

better have a good hoisting system if youre pulling the engine.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
which motor are you talking about?
starter motor, blower motor, wiper motor??

ALL motors are electric.

better have a good hoisting system if youre pulling the engine.

Might be a 6.9 volt drill motor?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a limited area to work in so I pull the whole front clip off. I think it's 12 - 14 bolts and that way I can get around the truck, in the "shop", not be worried about beating the fenders up.

If you choose to go this route, might as well have some body shims on hand. You probably won't like the condition of shims under the core support when you see them.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having an overhead one ton chain hoist worked great. I did have to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel, there wasn't enough room for the trans shaft to slide out of the clutch. I took out the radiator, but left in the A/C condenser. The fan/clutch was already gone as I've converted to e-fans. One of the easiest engines I've ever pulled, other than the size and weight of the thing. I'm going to try removing the front clip some day, that sounds like a very slick way to go.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online