Pulling 92 Dash to put in 97 7.3

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine is parting out my old truck, so I was gonna take the dash out (it's a 1992 F-350 crew cab 7.3 IDI) and I was gonna use it to replace the dash in my 1997 F-250 Powerstroke. Anyone got a good write up of taking it out? Can I even swap the dashes? Outside they look the same but I was wondering if there were Any harnesses inside that would make this harder than it would be worth.
And also if there's anything you guys want off the truck PM me and I can probably get you in touch with him.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is swapable....however wiring harness will hqve to be changed and it is a ho to remove em let alone two and reinstall one...

JM2CW

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a tedious job, but completely do able.
also, the 92 has faults on the passenger side mounting which makes the dash crack.
there is an updated mount you can buy, but i dont know where.
do some searching, there are a few threads on this subject.
i put a OBS dash in a brick nose, so i know very little.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The mount breaking goes on up to the newer trucks. Lol
My 94 was broken. You can find the "fixed" ones in junkyards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The mount breaking goes on up to the newer trucks. Lol
My 94 was broken. You can find the "fixed" ones in junkyards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

in 97, they had it fixed, atleast the 97 dash i used in the 89 had the extra mount, and it looked stock... not a rivited together patch job.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dashes are the same. Support at the bottom middle, each out board bottom corner, believe it was tied to the pedal assembly as well. Just go slow, pull all the obvious screws/bolts, I'd wiggle my dash to see what else was hanging up when I swapped a 97 dash into my 93 and I pulled my pedals + aluminum support for room. May not be necessary but that's how I've pulled mine 3 times now. Swapping the harness over between the two dashes is pretty straight forward. There's really only the addition of a obd2 port between the year jumps, every thing else is mostly just pin out changes and not to be worried about as far as routing is concerned.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online