public self a$$ kicking

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I had to replace my fuel filter (see signature). The new one stopped up within 25 miles, so it was time to drop the tanks and clean them out. What I found was over whelming, the fuel pick ups were in a variety of very small pieces. I strained the fuel though a T shirt and put a piece of hose with a bird mouth on the pick up tube for a fuel pick up and re installed the tank. As an after thought, I built a bracket and put a 10 micron filter in front of the factory filter. An $8 filter doesn't hurt as much as $35. And off to town, 15 miles away to get dinner at DQ for me and the wife. On my way back about 5 miles from home the filter light came on and then I coasted to the shoulder. Both filters were empty. I grabbed a fresh $8 filter refilled both filters and was off again. A couple of miles down the road and filter light on again. Long story short I towed it home. A mile from the house I switched tanks and it restarted and I let it idle till I got home. When I went to park it the filter light came on and then it died.

OK, you now have all the info I had when I went out and pulled the front tank. I figured that the bird mouth was to far down and was pulling down against the tank bottom, not. The pick up on the front tank was not down hard enough or when I installed the pick up I got them both together or something. Anyway they sucked closed after 20 Miles of driving. Put a 3/8 T on the end of the pick up and put the fuel fuel tank back in by myself!

Filled the filters and they ran dry again! What the ****? I pulled the filters and washed and blow them out and reinstalled them, and they ran drive again. I grabbed a little in line filter that I had and filled the filters again. Started her back up and watched the clear in line filter. and watched it fill about half full and fuel just dribbling into it. What the ****, I have a new fuel pump! Then I had an Idea. I pulled the input line off of the pump and blow back to the tank. That also tested the Harpoon vent, worked well. Put the fuel lines back together and make sure the filter we full, they weren't and started her back up. Nice fuel pulses in the in line filter and it filled quickly. I haven't test driven her yet but that will happen tomorrow. As well as redoing the back tank with a Harpoon vent!

OK, I've kick my a$$ enough.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
90 something witnesses to my public self a$$ kicking. Thank you one and all, I hope that my story helps somebody that is doing the same thing, escape some of my mistakes. I redeemed myself a little today by doing the back tank without any stupid mistakes or over sights. The back tank was almost empty and much easier to handle. All I can say for the Harpoon mod is, GREAT! Thanks again to everybody for stopping by.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a safty valve on the top of our fuel tanks called a roll over valve. It's supposed to prevent fuel spillage in the case of turning your truck over. A Guy that went by Harpoon came up with the idea of drilling out the center of the roll over valve and JB welding 3/4 thread X 5/8 barb nylon elbow into it, then connect a 5/8 hose and run it to the highest point that you can. There are some good threads on here with picture, just do a search for Harpoon mod or Harpoon tank. The big boys say that you can fill from a fast fill pump at truck stops with this mod, and I believe it. And I would like to say thank you to everybody that has done this mod before me and documented their work.