Propane

DieselChemist

Reaction score
What are all your guys's opinions on the propane injection, as I have heard conflicting stories about the good that propane does. Will I need to replace the head gaskets and put in the head studs or can I do it with the original head gaskets and head bolts.
Thanks
Bill

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I have a propane system I built and it works great. '85 and newer head gaskets are not a problem nor are head bolts. I have a Hypermax turbo running 12 psi boost and no problem. Look down the thread list you will find another propane thread that may help you.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That generalization may be a bit too liberal. The head gaskets have been revised 4 times. I did my heads in 87, and again in 2001, and got different gaskets from Ford each time. I outlined the differences in my headgasket/turbo article over on TDS. Even with good head gaskets, the bolts do stretch as the years go by. I certainly wouldn't bother doing the heads for propane though. As for a debate over propane, I think there is pretty solid proof that it does improve performance. I've not seen any evidence to the contrary.

rubberfish

Reaction score
What are all your guys's opinions on the propane injection
I ran it on my last truck. Yes it added power,,,,, and heat.
I won't run it again though. There's other ways to make
power that aren't as ******* the motor as propane is.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Mel,

My comments about the headgaskets and head bolts were not from researching the needs of a propane injected engine. The information on what was needed was for my turbocharger installation. The information came from Hypermax and was quite specific. If my engine was '83 or '84 and had the original headgaskets they "should" be changed. They did not recommend replacing head bolts and I asked. They said check a few head bolts for 85 lb torque and that was all I needed to do.I told them I would also be using propane and they said that would not be a problem. They also told me a 6.9 could run at 1250 EGT "All day long". I get 12 psi of boost on a hard pull and 13 1/2 psi with propane. EGT never over 1050. I gross 15,000 lbs all the time and it pulls great.

Last edited: