Propane Injection ?

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
What is the purpose of propane injection on a 7.3 and what beneifts do you get from having it ?

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you run propane through your engine it burns more of the fuel in the chamber. Normally you only burn 75% or less of the fuel that is injected in the chamber but the propane acts as a catalyst and burns almost all the fuel. In return you get better mileage and more power.;Sweet

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
When you run propane through your engine it burns more of the fuel in the chamber. Normally you only burn 75% or less of the fuel that is injected in the chamber but the propane acts as a catalyst and burns almost all the fuel. In return you get better mileage and more power.;Sweet

Thanks for the info. What kind of gains in MPG and HP do you get ? How many pounds of propane do you burn per tank of fuel ??

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard several different things about mpg gains but i think its from 3-7 mpg depending on how you drive and other things. You can gain 100 hp. When you use propane a tank that fits on a bbq grill i forget what size 20 or 40 # will go roughly 400-500 miles. its not a complicated thing to do but if you do it wrong you are sitting on a BOMB so be carefull make sure nothing is leaking.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Ive heard several different things about mpg gains but i think its from 3-7 mpg depending on how you drive and other things. You can gain 100 hp. When you use propane a tank that fits on a bbq grill i forget what size 20 or 40 # will go roughly 400-500 miles. its not a complicated thing to do but if you do it wrong you are sitting on a BOMB so be carefull make sure nothing is leaking.

I haven't done it but was looking at a truck that already had it installed. If you choose not use use LP that was already installed, is it as simple as just turning off the LP valve to run soley on diesel or are their other mods that have to made to remove it completley so that it will run only on diesel again?

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure how they have theirs setup but most have a system of pressure sensords that control the on and off of the propane some have it on the oil so when the pressure gets above a certain psi it will turn the propane on and it flows so you will have to look and see.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Propane usaully isnt used to get more mpg, its usaully more if a short burst thing when you need more power, like: drag racing, truck pulling, mud bogging, merging with traffic, or pulling that big long annoying mountain, etc... it would probly cost way to much to be using it all the time.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score

accelerant. Sorry it bug me.

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
certain setups are not used for mpg but the one i got i used for mpg gains and for power cause it only releases enough propane to burn all fuel in the cylinders.

Grendel

Reaction score
I also understand that propane decreases EGT when used. Can anyone verify that and does anyone have direct experience with using Propane on an IDI engine be it turbo or non-turbo? Also of the systems that are out there what is considered a good conversion setup? I know I could build one from scratch but this is one thing I'd rather just by a good reliable kit and install.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um... no. I don't think it will lower the EGT's. If anything it will increase them. However, that said.. it could generate more boost on a turbo equipped engine, which may in turn decrease EGT's.

sootman73

Reaction score
A friend of mine works with a guy that has propane on his 6.5l. custom built said you turn it on and you're going for a ride! said he used too long of a hose from the solenoid to the intake and it takes a while to turn off the propane cuz you have to wait for the line to empty.

about egts. i think it lowers if you have high egts now(over fueled) but raises them if the engine is underfueled.

a lot of guys run propane in littl ebita to drastically help wit mpgs. it is actually not anymore to run two fuels and pay for that with the mpg gains. think if it takes 20lb for 400-500 miles then its only like 2.4cents/mile to run propane.(at $12 for 20lbs which is the price last time i filled one)

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh had an IDI on propane, and he posted the dyno numbers. You can do a search on the site to pull them up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. I rode with him when he demonstrated it to me. You could definitely tell a difference.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have it on my mine for pulling trailer on long hills. EGT goes UP. Water temp goes up too. I could never justify using it all the time but it does give more power. Smoke is whitish gray instead of black also.

Mine is home made & activated by a lighted switch in the dash.

Rick