Propane Injection...Yes or No?

Sting

4-PLAY
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a '99 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 PSD. I have around 100,000 miles on it and a 3 stage diablo flip chip. I have a Bully Dog propane injection kit, but not sure if I want to put it on my truck or not? I like the idea of it, but I've heard some people say it's not a good idea. If I did put it on I would want it set up where it would be barely used. The bottom line is that I love my truck and I don't want to tear anything up. So it would be great to hear what you guys think. Thanks.

Jason

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say no to drugs.:D

With that said, propane can be OK if used properly, meaning it only can be active when the boost is between "XX" and "XX" (you determine the safe boost levels).

What other mods have you done to your truck? Is it an auto or manual tranny? I personally would be looking to add more fuel into the combustion chambers via a set of modded injectors and controling them with a good custom chip rather than adding propane.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
I'd steer clear of bbq juice, especially if you haven't had much experience with it! Chip it out!

Sting

4-PLAY
Reaction score
Well as far as engine mods go all I have right now is the 3 stage Diablo flip chip. I have a 6 speed manual tranny, and I have stacks that will be going on here really soon. As far as future mods go I'll probably be getting a S & B air filter intake and upgrading to a DP 6 position chip. Well so far the nays have it...anyone believe that it's a good thing to do?

Jason

rubberfish

Reaction score
I've run it before. Not for towing or anything.
It was too hot for that. I used it mainly as a
"last chance button". A buddy of mine has been
using a kit on his 7.3 for almost 5 years now
and it still runs strong. He uses his for towing
and everything. Personally, if I was going to
recomend a form of drugs, it'd be water/****.
Much easier on the motor than propane.
But like the other guys said. Get your power
from good old #2 first.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
ALL THROTTLE------------NO BOTTLE!

Depending on drugs for power only leads to expensive problems....

----just like in real life ;Sweet :hail

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sting said:
Well as far as engine mods go all I have right now is the 3 stage Diablo flip chip. I have a 6 speed manual tranny, and I have stacks that will be going on here really soon. As far as future mods go I'll probably be getting a S & B air filter intake and upgrading to a DP 6 position chip. Well so far the nays have it...anyone believe that it's a good thing to do?

Jason
Being a 6 spd makes things even more difficult as every time you shift your boost essentially goes to zero (or there abouts). Throw some injectors in it, chip the hell out of it and dont even think about propane unless you are having serious EGT issues. Propane is really nothing more than an accelerant to help you burn the diesel in the combustion chamber more quickly and completely.

Sting

4-PLAY
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Well I will forget about putting it on my truck. I'll see if someone is interested in buying the kit from me and spend the $$$ elsewhere. As far as not having enough power that's not an issue for me. I am running 46's and I can burn the hell out of them any time I want to (not that I do at around $500 a tire).

Jason

rubberfish

Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Propane is really nothing more than an accelerant to help you burn the diesel in the combustion chamber more quickly and completely.
The maker of the propane kit loves it when you think that.
For me, it did everything but lower egt's.
It definatly works like an excellerant. :)
The same as throwing gas on the camp fire. Yee Haw :peelout
I guess it could lower egt's if it was used in moderation,,,
but what fun would that be eh???????????

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rubberfish said:
I guess it could lower egt's if it was used in moderation,,,
but what fun would that be eh???????????

I'm just sayin....... :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance