Project Overload

MrAmbitious

Reaction score
No it's not the name of my truck, it's what's going on in my life. Normal seems to be to much to do, and is the genesis of my user name.

So my truck stopped running reliably in 2013, after I, in retrospect, did a really stupid thing, which was try to run some WVO in it. No auxiliary heater and apparently not nearly enough filtration and removal of water. So the truck stopped working; I changed the fuel filter, and was able to get it running on an auxiliary tank that I had hanged from the hood. Unfortunately I did not use it enough and was not able to keep it running and due to project creep, and now I have not been able to get it running again.

SWMBLT decided that I need some incentive and was able to hit the right buttons so I have spent the last couple of whiles trying to get it running again. First thing was to drain all the fuel from both tanks and make sure I had only dino diesel in it, and the back tank is in such a state. I drained and removed the front tank. Then I checked to see if I was getting any fuel through the lift pump, and was not, so I bought a new lift pump. I blew out the line from the fuel selector valve to the lift pump and I have fuel from the rear tank to the selector valve. At the moment I have brand new fuel in a 5 gallon jerry can running to the lift pump.

After thoroughly searching the site I have come up with the following steps to be taken to insure the correct trouble shooting procedure:
1) disconnect the GP controller so that the GP's don't drain my batteries
2) New batteries to make sure I have enough juice. Last ones were in '13
3) make sure fuel is getting through the filter (which is new) by checking the schrader valve and/or cracking the exit line
4) check fuel at injectors to see if fuel is getting there.

Truck has 277K miles on it. Not sure on the previous history but thinking new injectors first and if that doesn't work a new IP. Also what kind of starter should I put in it. I had the last one rebuilt by a good local company but they have subsequently gone out of business. If recommended, what would be the best type of starter to put on it. Thanks to everyone in advance, I appreciate your time in reading through my mess and helping me sort it out. I would like to get everything sorted before the weather turns to crap, but having said that I admit that I am really bad at following up on stuff, however I promise I will let all of you know the outcome of my journey. Again, many thanks!!!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You have a pretty good grasp.
I would say likely to be in the IP or injectors.
I would try a heavy injector cleaner straight into the fuel filter. Diesel purge, diesel kleen, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MrAmbitious

Reaction score
So fill the fuel filter with Diesel Kleen. I need a red button, that was easy. Thanks for the suggestion, here's hoping!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I mean don't expect it to work miracles, but it may get you by a little.
I would still plan on replacing ip and injectors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You do seem to understand these simple idi fuel systems. Running fuel from a jerry can is the good start. checking fuel out of the filter tells you its getting thru the "new" filter. When you check for fuel at each injector do not expect to see lots of squirting fuel. At wide open throttle its barely a drop each cycle. About 80% or more fuel ends up as return fuel. It cools the pump and injectors as well as lubes both of them too.
As for the best least costly starter I suggest the gear reductoion type from DB electric on ebay. Many here run them and like them.
If you end up changing the injectors and the injection pump please ask before you buy from the cheapest ebay seller. That fool paints a injection pump that he "tests" just to see if it pumps fuel. Then he paints them to look nice and rebuilt. I call that a rattle can rebuild.
One more thing to note. Please do not remove the injection pump with the gear and the housing as one piece. No matter what you see on u tube. You will screw up the gear timing no matter what. Then its hell getting it gear timed correct.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MrAmbitious

Reaction score
If you end up changing the injectors and the injection pump please ask before you buy from the cheapest ebay seller. That fool paints a injection pump that he "tests" just to see if it pumps fuel. Then he paints them to look nice and rebuilt. I call that a rattle can rebuild.
One more thing to note. Please do not remove the injection pump with the gear and the housing as one piece. No matter what you see on u tube. You will screw up the gear timing no matter what. Then its hell getting it gear timed correct.

Oh yea, I've used the search function enough to know that. Conestoga isn't that far from me that I couldn't run down there to get the goods. I think part of my hesitation on this problem has been convincing myself to buy the parts, I was hoping it was a cheap and easy fix. It might be one or the other but not usually both. Just got to remind myself it's not a $500/month truck payment.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online