Prodigal returns

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I haven't driven my diesel more than 5000 miles in the last several years, and nothig has broken, so I kind of drifted away.
I had to loan the truck to my son for use as a work truck 2 months ago. He is not a diesel guy, nor mechanically inclined. His use led me to iron out some kinks.
I also had to replace the injection pump (again).

Two questions...
Is there a way to test the fan clutch other than covering the radiator and waiting to see if it comes on? Is there a particular brand of fan clutch that is better than some others? I seem to have bad luck with them. I do not hear my present fan engage...ever.

Does anyone here test/ rebuild injectors? I know Mel has the tester, but I do not have the expertise to know what I am looking at. I have 4 extra injectors, plus the 8 on the truck.

Other than running a little hot, the truck ran fine pulling my 25' fifth wheel to Gettysburg and back this past weekend. ( I have rigged a pressure sprayer to deliver a stream of water onto the radiator to improve cooling somewhat....but a working fan clutch would be better)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan clutch problems seem to be a common annoyance. Some here have suggested an upgraded MS-tech clutch which kicks on earlier, say at 185 or 190 to help keep these beasts cool towing. I'd try taking the injectors to Mel and if he's willing to let you test them with his tester. You want to see good pop off pressure, a nice cone type spray pattern and that chatter like several squirts when you press the handle of the tester. As far as anyone here that rebuild injectors I think the only guy is Ken at DPS, might as well not go there unless you want Stage 1s which you really don't want without a turbo. For my money, I'd get a new set of Delphis off ebay. it seems they are available there for around $125-$175 for a whole set, no core, new ones not rebuilds. Don't forget new coppers, return kit and dynamic timing for getting the best out of it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Michael, where the heck have you been? Kinda dropped off the radar there. Glad to see your back. You know your always welcome up at Moose Valley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online