Problems when turning 4 way flashers on

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
the other day then blocking the road with the 4 way flashers on while setting up to back up in off the road with the carhauler, we noticed some smoke coming from the turn signal controller, and once before I noticed having the flashers on seemed to apply the trailer brakes. I have my brake controller wired in through the factory tow package in the plug under the dash. Would one of these goodies isolate the problem or do I just need to not use flashers unless I rewire the turn signal setup with something else, like an old style clamp on truck unit.
Thanks------Robert

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That should do it Robert. It's just a blocking diode, so the flasher pulse (+12VDC) doesn't trigger the brake controller. It's probably about a 10 amp diode, if you have one, just hook it up like there instructions.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll pick one of those critters up and get it in there. I don't want to forget about that and set fire to my truck while i'm looking in my mirrors backing up

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Many many years ago, I mounted one of those way up under the dash of my 1985 F-350.

It has been so many years ago that I barely remember why I had to get it, but I think it was because of the flashers engaging the brakes.

I never had that problem on any of the controllers that actually have a brake-line plumbed to them.

All of my trailers have :backoff vacuum-over-hydraulic :backoff brakes, so the only times any of that electric stuff gets a work-out is when someone else's trailer is behind them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online