Pre-turbo exhaust leaks

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a persistent leak in the turbo inlet since I got this truck. It's enough so that the entire top of the engine is coated in soot.

Tonight I decided to do a little wrenching on it and found that it is not at the turbo flange as I previously thought. I found that the (majority) of the leaking is in the header pipe that leads to the turbo flange adapter (for lack of a better term).

There is a small leak at each manifold, enough to leave about 1 1/2" to 2" soot stain, and a small leak at the junction where the pipes from each manifold meet and go up to the turbo.

My question is, what is an acceptable amount of leak? I am able to remove all the bolts, no problem (live in socal so no rust, at all).

I loosened and retightened the flange and tested it 4 times and finally was able to make the leak at the flange small enough that I could just see a small puff when I rev it as opposed to the normal cloud.

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at it from a cost / benefit standpoint, as in is the cost to my back and knees worth the benefit of no leaks :D

Also, I'm looking at my EGT sensor. It's a banks unit, and hasn't worked since I got the truck. How do I test it to see what's wrong?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Eh, couldn't tell ya. Lol
Something to do with resistance though.
Make sure all connections are clean and tight.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got it as sealed as I could just by tightening and loosening it. No longer spewing soot out to the engine bay when I drive it.

When I drive on the freeway there is not constant smoke, but it puffs very light smoke out of the exhaust like every 1/2 second. Does this sound like a bad / leaky injector? The ones I have in it only have about 1,000 miles on them or so.

Also, where I live is at or below sea level. When I get up in to the mountains, like 3-4,000 feet it smokes quite a bit. No matter if it's an incline or just driving down the road, it's a good amount of smoke. Any thoughts on this? Is it just turned up too much for the turbo to suck enough air in at those altitudes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online