Pre or Post EGT

B

Big K

The problem with running two switched inputs into the same gauge has to do with the fact that the thermocouple lead and wiring cannot be altered in length, due to a set resistance factor. I believe that NB has found some info that instructs us in how to run two probes, switched, into the same gauge. Our gauges read to 1600F, so scale is not an issue.

Joe?

The accepted number to avoid coking is about 300F. Problem is that if you take the pre turbo #, you don't get the true heat of the turbo itself. The turbo itself is a big heat sink, and therefore, at low cylinder exit temps, is said to warm the exhaust stream a bit until full turbo cooldown is reached. Thus, the post-turbo gauge reading is a more accurate measurement of the turbo temp, and should be used for shutdown. We shut down @ between 275 and 300F. And that's with synthetic oil, which is far less prone to coking.

As far as the pre-turbo reading, I want that for extreme fueling/towing. I want to know my cylinder exit temps. Or as close as I can get to them. I'm not worried about the turbo, but rather I'm concerned about melting a piston. That's why I want to have a pre-turbo reading.

Perhaps the criteria is different for the different brands. My statements apply to Cummins.