powerstroke conversion

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its funny I would find this right after I was thinking how cool it would be to have an idi powered superduty. Well this isnt a superduty but it is fairly awesome!!

I am going to look at it saturday morning LOOK HERE

A few questions...
Is it worth it to fix the powerstoke? it prob needs an engine since it sounds like it is locked up. OR.... would it be better to put an idi it it? Will it bolt up to the trans or is the bolt pattern different? What else is there to consider?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I could get that crew for a good price I would seriously I think about swapping the drivetrain out of my truck!! My 84 needs about 2.5k worth of paint and body and interior to look nice so it would almost be a wash. I could just park it (roll it :) into the back yard and wait for another idi to fall into my hands for it. All just crazy thoughts at this point.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its funny I would find this right after I was thinking how cool it would be to have an idi powered superduty. Well this isnt a superduty but it is fairly awesome!!

A few questions...
Is it worth it to fix the powerstoke? it prob needs an engine since it sounds like it is locked up. OR.... would it be better to put an idi it it? Will it bolt up to the trans or is the bolt pattern different? What else is there to consider?

Funny, I'm sitting here thinking about how cool it would be to have a 5.9 Cummins with an Allison 6 speed double overdrive in my Superduty....IMHO the best body, best engine and best tranny of the big 3 combined into one happy package:D

Nice looking truck and the money's about right IMHO. If you go crew cab with leather like that you'll never want to take a step backwards. I think an IDI swap into the OBS trucks would be pretty straight forward. If I'd seen this 6 months ago when I bought the Superduty I would have jumped on it and swapped in the IDI from my '90. I think it's a good find.

The trans is the same bolt pattern, it's about the only thing the 7.3 PSD has in common with the 7.3 IDI besides the engine displacement.......If you're thinking about fixing the PSD it could eeeeeeeeeasily cost you $4k - $8k doing the work yourself so just be aware of the expense involved with them. Don't ask me how I know:cry:

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Who has an independent controller for the allison 6 speed?

Does Navistar use seperate engine/tanny computers? I don't think my GMC does.

It sure is a nice tranny though.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ATS has a separate computer for the tranny and PCS is working on one. I'm sure you can prolly get a $$$$$eparate controller from Allison too.

Sun Coast also has a valve body conversion kit to make the 5 speed OD Allison 1000 trannies into 6 speed double OD for $1648 + core for the valve body.:D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah If there was something around me like that, and I had the money, I would jump on it in a heart beat.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score

A few questions...

And if you don't want it let me know i jump on it!! Tonka ready for a road trip????

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if you don't want it let me know i jump on it!! Tonka ready for a road trip????

;Sweet Game on ...... I know the area pretty well and am up there quite a bit visiting my Father in Law and Daughter....About tempted to buy it myself but I'm a little cash poor right now while I have my play money tied up in the garden tractors I'm currently parting.

Of course I'd have to rig up some way to get my crippled @$$ into that thing.:dunno

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score

Mike

I was under the impression that our trucks (GM) have seperate controllers, but the Ally computer actually controls the engine computer somewhat. Kinda backwards way of thinking. 'Course I could be all backwards myself.cookoo

Tom

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike

I was under the impression that our trucks (GM) have seperate controllers, but the Ally computer actually controls the engine computer somewhat. Kinda backwards way of thinking. 'Course I could be all backwards myself.cookoo

Tom

I honestly have no idea what GM is doing.

Now the Ford Superduty PCM controls the engine and tranny but when doing say a Cummins or IDI conversion you would need to get a new controller to shift the tranny if staying with the E4DOA, 4R100 or 5R110 tranny.

Now the engines from Navistar, Cummins, Cat etc can be bought as stand alone engines that have the PCM mounted on the engine which is what you see in medium and heavy duty truck applications and the OEM manufacturer of the truck has to provide a certain plug on the vehicle that the engine can be plugged into.

Cummins has basicly 2 wiring diagrams for the 5.9 ISB Cummins, 1 is for the Dodge application and the other is for everybody else running a stand alone engine.

Allison transmissions have been electronicly controlled for many years before the 1000 series came out in the GM light duty trucks. They were a stand alone product and with many of the 1000 series in Motorhomes I bet some of theme are stand alone with a key pad controller.

There are a lot of custom products for swaps out there but I bet I can get almost everything I need, electrically and electronicly, right from Ford for a 2000 F-650 to drop in an ISB Cummins with an Allison tranny plug and play style. This is something I'll be checking next time I get to the Ford truck dealer in Raleigh.

I'm also going to do some measuing to see if I can squeeze an SAE3 bellhousing in this thing, If I can, my tranny options go way up and conversion costs go down about $3000

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Funny, I'm sitting here thinking about how cool it would be to have a 5.9 Cummins with an Allison 6 speed double overdrive in my Superduty....IMHO the best body, best engine and best tranny of the big 3 combined into one happy package:D

Well listen to this. Last night I caught an episode of Pimp My Ride where they converted a '65 Chevy Impala Super Sport junker into a Cummins/Allison turbo charged 800+hp/1200+ lbs of torque biodiesel super car. :hail

Check out this link! ;Sweet
http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1557903&vid=145456

I occasionally watch the show but this is by far the best episode. Lucky dude!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
hheynow I saw that same episode a couple of weeks ago. That was the best vehicle they have built to date. Most of there builds are hoaky.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Well listen to this. Last night I caught an episode of Pimp My Ride where they converted a '65 Chevy Impala Super Sport junker into a Cummins/Allison turbo charged 800+hp/1200+ lbs of torque biodiesel super car. :hail

Check out this link! ;Sweet
http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1557903&vid=145456

I occasionally watch the show but this is by far the best episode. Lucky dude!

That was a new crate Duramax LBZ/Allison combo. Liked the powertrain and interior, the rest of the car :puke: . Been planning that for my '66 Impala SS for a couple of years now. Probably around the end of the summer, I'll begin the search for a wrecked truck with an LB7 DMax. Then the frame-off fun begins.;Sweet

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online