Powerstroke brakes the same??

1992-6.9

Reaction score
I test drove a powerstroke the other day, 1995 auto just to see what the power difference was. In my opinion, not much but what got me by surprise was the brakes... Barely pushed the pedal down and it was slowing down quickly. They felt really responsive. What are the differences between the ones on the IDI and the PS?? I have to have my pedal half way to the floor for them to do much... Brakes were just done, adjusted the drums, etc. Vac pump time?? How do i replace it??

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The brakes from 1992 to 1995 I think they the same, maybe the valve under the driver side frame rail i not giving enough fluid to the rear brakes. Now there should be a vacuum pump article in the archives but I don't know what ever happened to it :rolleyes: .

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.

My buddies 96 had fixed 4 piston calipers on the front, while my 92 has a sliding 2 piston caliper...

Ryan

1992-6.9

Reaction score
Well, I guess i will wait on a vac pump. It costs... $130 rebuilt from the local auto stores...and $300 or so for a new one...Wonder what the dealer wants....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt I paid 100 bucks for my cardone rebuild at Advance Auto Parts. A 4 piston caliper would make a big difference, my 86 has the real antique brakes, but it stops goo enough to keep me from hitting the next car, so that's good 'nuff for me.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
1992-6.9 said:
Well, I guess i will wait on a vac pump. It costs... $130 rebuilt from the local auto stores...and $300 or so for a new one...Wonder what the dealer wants....

I remember they where $69 at autozone.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1990 F350 CC has a new Booster, Master cylinder, front disks, and pads. I still have really bad brakes. With my camper and boat loaded/pulled, I could easily hit the car in front of me, If I didn't try to carry extra space between us. My boat is a small 18 foot john boat, not a big ocean boat. A couple of years ago the brakes would ocassionally stop working all together. Unplugging the rear antiskid stuff under the drivers seat along the frame rail stopped that, but I still have very bad brakes.

If I could find a way make them work better at a doable price, I would.

akoldnav

dieselmanic

Reaction score
changing over to hydroboost from a f-450 with make difference you can smile about. less than $500.00 if you source parts from the boneyard. it's worth it just not to have to worry about that idiot that just pulled in front of you to make that turnoff. (like he couldn't follow you for a 1/4 mile!)

1992-6.9

Reaction score
I would love to do a hydro conversion, however don't have the money for it at this point... However, it would have been nice today... I was following a car for a while and traffic just stopped on the freeway, mind you I was poking along at around 60 when the traffic came to a screeching halt. Having nothing to do but brake and brake hard, I locked all 4 up and ended up inches from the car in front of me... Hate to think what would have happened if i was following close...

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding prices: I've found that Autozone prices are not consistant between stores. I was on their website looking for a seal, and prices varied between $7 and $16 for the same part at different stores (I was looking for one that actually stocked the part).

Last 2 vacuum pumps I bought were $109.99 at AZ. Check online, you may find one cheaper and they can transfer one in if they don't stock them.

I've also seen the pumps on eBay, no core required.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1992-6.9 said:
I would love to do a hydro conversion, however don't have the money for it at this point... However, it would have been nice today... I was following a car for a while and traffic just stopped on the freeway, mind you I was poking along at around 60 when the traffic came to a screeching halt. Having nothing to do but brake and brake hard, I locked all 4 up and ended up inches from the car in front of me... Hate to think what would have happened if i was following close...

It would be nice if you had a signiture that told us what year truck you have, so we know what your comparing it to. Mid 80's trucks brakes are way harder to push then the later models. Also, you get a small

SWONK

For flirting with the dark side. :backoff

1992-6.9

Reaction score
I knew that one was coming sooner or later...haha... Hey, just curious on what was so special about the 'stroker :sorry: LOL signature might help a bit...forgot...my apologies....

dieselmanic

Reaction score
just had 1 other thought, what kind of brake pads are you using?? those high dollar pads (semi-metallic or ??) take a lot of heat before giving you any kind of pedal modulation. those low dollar organic pads might wear quicker but sure do "feel" better! they don't require much break-in and are quieter to boot:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US