powerstoke advise??? 6.0 or 7.3

letsfindout

Reaction score
Stay away from the 6.0s. They make us a lot of money, and that's about all the good I have to say about them. Right now we have 3 bays full of 'em and that's pretty much the normal. Guys either swear by them or swear at them. If you're lucky enough to find an owner that has had no major problems with his chances are he's not going to sell it.

When guys ask us about them the answer is it will either be trouble free, or you should figure on spending between 6-8k on repairs before it hits 175,000 miles. I probably see 1 trouble free unit for every 20 or more trucks that rolls through here.

- Head Gaskets Fail - (heads are warped between .003 and .004 from the factory and only held on with 10 bolts). Even when Ford warrants the gaskets, they tell techs to check the short way and if its less than .002 that way, put it back on :eek:

- EGR coolers crack and leak - can be solved by removing or welding shut

- If engine is ran long enough with a failed EGR cooler, oil cooler can fail.

- Injector Wiring Harness fail

- FICMs (Fuel Injector Control Module) fail

- Injectors fail

- Rebuilt Injectors fail

- New Injectors fail (Alliant power thought they had a fix, but went back to building injectors the old way, since the failure rate (on the new injectors mind you) even with the "fix" stayed the same.

- Injectors fail again.

- Guys run engines with failed injectors so long they they wash the cylinder walls down, requiring a $8500 rebuild.

That's just the "normal" problems that we see. The list goes on and on........

If you're looking to go newer model truck, Long Live The King - stick with the 7.3L.

- Ken

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw that. Guess he was refering to mods done by people without pyrometers. :dunno :shoot:

I also saw a few other of his videos and he doesn't know anything about the IDI's, lol. He says all they did is blow headgaskets and were weak.:rolleyes:

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the description, that sounds like Powerstrokehelp.com... Dude is an arrogant idiot from what I can tell, doesn't seem to know about anything that isn't a Super Duty.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had a powersroke, he seems like the guy I would look into.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They gotta remove the cab to work on the 6.0. Love my 99, 175,650 and still going strong. No repairs so far, see sig. Even ran it 200 miles on gasoline :eek:

not really.a shop out here removes the heater box to get the heads off without pulling the cab.they do ALOT of them but they never come back after the head studs are done

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
So this is your wife's truck. What will she be using it for? Daily driver/grocery getter? I still don't think she needs a big truck, but for that i'd go with a 7.3. The 6.0 is not a very good short-trip/grocery getter. It needs to be run hard.

If she's gonna be doing something like farm-work/hauling horses, etc. I still think the 7.3 is going to be more reliable, but the 6.0 has more power.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to pre 99 stuff, from his videos that I've seen, 75% of what he says is unfounded, incorrect, and can be downright misleading...
If your only info on powerstrokes was his videos, you wouldn't know anything about an OBS, at all.

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
i love the 7.3 psd the one i use to carry hay with is a 2001-02 model f-350 single cab flatbed dually 6 speed 4x4 and ill tell you even with a 30 foot trailer loaded with hay its fast as hell and it never bogs down im gonna steal it someday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online