powerstoke advise??? 6.0 or 7.3

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno Im not to up to speed on powerstrokes so which ones better a 99 7.3 or an 03 6.0? Wife might buy one just need some pros and cons to help decide which direction to drive to test some trucks. Thanx

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first three years of the 6.0 were touch and go.
If it were "me", I would go with the 99 7.3, even though they rattle like crazy.Dads 99 dually engine noise is so much louder inside then mine.:dunno

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 7.3 was the last of the good ones.the 6.0s are nasty if you can keep it together.kinda depends on what youre planning to do with it.but im sure that most of the 6.0s that are out there have had the heads and head studs done by now.then the only problem left is the EGR system.wich there is a kit to delete it.but they say to remove the EGR every so often and clean it.then i guess you have any troubles with it.

for much better info than what youre gonna get here go visit our sister site www.superdutydiesel.com .

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want stone cold reliable with very few known issues, the 7.3 is the way to go. The 6.0 had big teething problems in it's first few years, and while it can be made 100% reliable, the amount of aftermarket fixes needed is not the smallest.
That said, I genuinely like the 6.0/Torq-Shift combo from many miles in the 05 my old job had, and there are plenty out there that have been nothing but reliable, I know of a few, that 05 included, but, I know of just as many that have been nothing but a nightmare from new.
I'd sooner not gamble, the 7.3 is a proven, reliable performer.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
7.3 hands down!

03 was a VERY bad year for the 6.0.

If you do get a 6.0, make sure its been studded, egr delete, updated harness and make sure someone does a cylinder contribution test to test the injectors.

Once you stud them and delete the egr they aren't bad. But its $$$$ ontop of an already expensive engine. 7.3 for proven reliability. Make sure it has updated Ford CPS or ditch it and order one from INternational (black one) and keep the ford spare in the glove box (i swear the nook in the glove box fits one perfectly)

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 hands down!

03 was a VERY bad year for the 6.0.

If you do get a 6.0, make sure its been studded, egr delete, updated harness and make sure someone does a cylinder contribution test to test the injectors.

Once you stud them and delete the egr they aren't bad. But its $$$$ ontop of an already expensive engine. 7.3 for proven reliability. Make sure it has updated Ford CPS or ditch it and order one from INternational (black one) and keep the ford spare in the glove box (i swear the nook in the glove box fits one perfectly)

Should probly know this but, what is CPS?:dunno

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
crank position sensor.its the most common problem on the 7.3.good idea to keep a spare in the glovebox with a 10mm wrench or ratchet and socket

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
If you do buy a 7.3, do yourself a favor and check the vent on the side of the IDM. They cause all sorts of moisture issues that will kill a IDM.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I like the black CPS for stock applications. Ive heard some issues were discovered with hot tunes. Either way, its a simple thing, install updated sensor if it hasnt been done, keep good spare in glove box for just in case.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
motox,

I am going to go against the grain here and say personally, I would go with a 6.0 with no hesitation. I say this not because of the "problems I have heard about, or the "they are all junk" mindset. I know several of the responses are from guys that know.

I agree, the 6.0 had growing pains, and I would say most of them have been taken care of my now. The newest 6.0 is 4 years old. I also would not say to avoid an 03, I have one in the garage right now. I have owned it for almost 4 years and it has been DEAD NUTS RELIABLE!!!!!! The only time it has not started is due to low batteries due to a bad alternator. I have 110,000 on it. I have done regular maintenance, and replaced the bad alternators (long story, but not the engine or trucks fault.....

I would say what to look for is not one that has all the above listed parts removed. I would look for one that is still stock... NO PROGRAMMERS, CHIPS, etc!!!!! All those parts do not have to be removed for it to be reliable. What is the most important on the 6.0 is the maintenance. The oil should be changed at 5k..... dino or synthetic, the injectors shear the oil in normal operation, and it murders the oil. Fuel filters at 10k. Use ONLY MOTORCRAFT filters!!!!!!! Get an OASIS report if possible, if it has not been a problem child, if it was, has been repaired and has been fine for a long time after, I think it should be fine. In stock form, they are powerful, and reliable. This is said from someone with ownership experience. Also, the 6.0 does not like to be babied, work the truck, at least once a week, drive it a little hard, not abusive, but a few good hard accels will keep the EGR Clear and the turbo clean. BTW, my truck is stock, has never had a tune other than the factory tune, and no other mods. At 110,000 miles, I have the factory headgaskets, EGR Valve (has not been removed from the engine ever), factory EGR and Oil Coolers and the factory turbo (has not been removed from the engine ever). Do some research, and see what info you can get on the truck you are looking at, 7.3 or 6.0, and you should be fine.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would go 7.3L. Weve had nothing but bad luck with the 6.0s at work, and my friends Dad just got rid of his 04 with 150k because of problem after problem. I have more 6.0 stories but ill leave it at that. Im sure there are good ones out there but ive yet to see one. snicklas Im glad your having good luck with yours.

-Jordan-

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience on either one of them. I did bought one crashed 7.3 Powerstroke E-350, but don't know yet what i'll do with it.
But back to the topic, if you haven't looked at these videos, go grab some coffee and sit back...

7.3 vs. 6.0 vs. 6.4

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_dhaWv9Z4k

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJpxHHLaPI&feature=related

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxXZh7n1Tsg&feature=related

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf2OI9zXGZY&feature=related

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They gotta remove the cab to work on the 6.0. Love my 99, 175,650 and still going strong. No repairs so far, see sig. Even ran it 200 miles on gasoline :eek: