Power steering

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Ive got a 84 6.9 4x4. Truck sat for 6-7 years. installed a new power steering belt and the fired the truck up. The steering automatically shoots left or right on its own with out touching the wheel. Im thinking the box is bad and not the pump.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I have never heard of a 80’s Ford truck having that issue. (Seen it on *** rack and pinion set ups On YouTube.)

I would think you are right as the pump does not have a impact on the steering just the pressure to the steering box. And it shoots left or right.

But one thought is if the pressure release valve on the pump is not working. If it’s sending too much pressure to the steering box, maybe that can cause the issue. Also could part of the pump have come off and is now in the steering box causing a issue.

Maybe for $80 more do both the pump and steering box since it is a dangerous malfunction. Also recommend new hoses while you are in there.

Let us know what you end up doing and post some pics.

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Will do. I'm replacing the starter as using a hammer to jump the solenoid doesn't work anymore. After that I'll put the belt back on and see what happens. I think first I'll pull all the lines and blow them out. Than hook it all back up with fresh fluid. (atf or power steering fluid?)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
(atf or power steering fluid?)
Either will work. Type F is what was originally called for, typically. You can use Dex/Merc though too, that's what I have in mine because that's what I had on hand when I replaced my pump and gear box.

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Update for ya. Swapped the new starter in and now the truck starts Everytime. Anyway I decided to throw the power steering belt on and see what she does. Power steering worked really well surprisingly. Let the truck run for about 30min at idle playing with the wheel. Went to drive her and gave her a little throttle and the pump seized right away and started to melt the belt lol. So definitely need a pump lol. Got one on order. Should be here today.

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Another item to add will I be able to pull the pump with the pully attached? Or do I need to pull the pully first?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The pump will come off with the pulley attached. The aluminum pump mounting bracket will come out with the pump. Although I do think that it's easier to remove and install the pulley with the pump and mounting brachet held in place by the mounting bolts.

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Alright! Got the power steering pump swapped out. Vato zone had the pulley puller and accidently gave me a fat discount on the rental tool that was brand new in the box. So now I have a pulley puller.
Pump works excellent. I drove it home from Denver up I70 and she did 50-55 no problem.
Thank you a million times for the help. Love our community.

Attachments

• received_988467015080012.jpeg
    received_988467015080012.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 8

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Glad to hear. And wow, so much room in front of that pulley.

This is the clearance between the PS pulley and the fan shroud on my E350:

You must be registered for see images attach

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Glad to hear. And wow, so much room in front of that pulley.

This is the clearance between the PS pulley and the fan shroud on my E350:

You must be registered for see images attach
I know those vans have 0 room for anything in them. I love the idea of an idi van though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I haven't dug into an oil cooler on any of these trucks. And I hope I don't have to from the sounds of it.
They are messy to change out and somewhat of a pain, but I don't think that they're too terrible. Doing that is MUCH easier than R&Ring heads with the engine still in the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online