power steering lines

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just asked this in another thread but I just replaced all of my lines, pump and box..my high pressure line with the plastic oring rotates easily in the pump side. Is it supposed to be like that or does it snug up. Perhaps I’m missing an oring somewhere

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the high pressure line has a o ring that goes into the fitting and the high pressure fitting to go into the pump also has an o ring

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the high pressure line has a o ring that goes into the fitting and the high pressure fitting to go into the pump also has an o ring
Attempting to bring this thread back up for some advice. My dad has installed a new ps pump on the 86 6.9. New high pressure line as well. I wasn’t around but he’s getting old man grumpy because it’s still leaking. I came over today and noticed the bag the new stuff came in has a Teflon o ring and a rubber o ring. The Teflon one goes on the high pressure fitting correct? He says it already had a rubber o ring on it so he didn’t use any of them. I’m thinking this is where his leak is coming from.

All new pump and HP line.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Attempting to bring this thread back up for some advice. My dad has installed a new ps pump on the 86 6.9. New high pressure line as well. I wasn’t around but he’s getting old man grumpy because it’s still leaking. I came over today and noticed the bag the new stuff came in has a Teflon o ring and a rubber o ring. The Teflon one goes on the high pressure fitting correct? He says it already had a rubber o ring on it so he didn’t use any of them. I’m thinking this is where his leak is coming from.

All new pump and HP line.
They usually have an extra o ring that’s not necessary, doesn’t hurt to try it

It is VERY common on these trucks for the gear box to leak weather it’s the input seal or the pitman arm seal

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Stu Bailey check the return line. That has been a leak point on all of mine at least once.

The new pump and new line would have both come with the Teflon seal and o ring so it makes sense that he still has extras.

James

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Stu Bailey check the return line. That has been a leak point on all of mine at least once.

The new pump and new line would have both come with the Teflon seal and o ring so it makes sense that he still has extras.

James
I saw what looked like the return line leaking. He doesn’t know where the Teflon washer goes and I told him I think it goes on the HP line inside the pump fitting. There’s a little notched seat in there that looks like it sits there and then the line fitting has the o ring on the male end there. Haven’t been able to locate exact installation instructions but I figured the HP line going into the pump has the Teflon and o ring. Going into the steering box it doesn’t need anything because it’s a flare compression fitting. Sound about right?

He just came in and looked like he was tired of messing with it so tomorrow I’m going to go out there and take a hack at it. I can’t rule out a leak from the gear box like @Austin86250 mentioned but I’ll be looking at that tomorrow as well as the real culprit. Right now I am confident his return line was leaking so that’s my first focus. Nothing there but a hose clamp so that should be a quick diagnosis.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the Teflon and o-ring both go in the pump end of the HP line.

James

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the Teflon and o-ring both go in the pump end of the HP line.

James
Like so? At first it didn’t seem to fit but I read another post on here suggesting a little warm bath to help the Teflon get passed the threads.
You must be registered for see images attach

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks correct to me. If you haven't I would replace the piece of rubber hose on the return side.

James

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Rdnck84_03 just came back from the parts store with one. We did find a pinhole leak in the cooler line too. My old man was being stubborn but he’s warmed up to me helping him out. Pretty sure this is his first truck. Also my old truck :Thumbs Up before I gave it to him the PS was leaking a bit but I would just add a little fluid once a month with the intension of eventually getting to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7