Power Service Arctic vs fuel lines

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used Power Service Arctic (white bottle) this last winter. As an anti-gel mixed with straight #2 diesel I have to give it 5 stars. Coldest day I ran it was -25 and no problems.

On the other hand, return lines have developed significant leakage. I would start the truck, pop the hood open and you could see the mesh sheath on the return lines turn wet and see bubbling as they began to drip steady drops of fuel on top of heads. Why this significant of a leak did not cause air leak hard start issues is beyond reason.

Anyway, picked up some line at O'Reillys, not the correct stuff but figured it would get me by until a new return line kit from Conestoga Diesel gets here. (Which it did today, thanks to Mel and crew for speedy service) When I replaced the worst of the dripping lines with the O'Reilly hose last weekend, I stripped back the sheath and the rubber part of the lines was cracked in just a spider web pattern cracks opening with every bend. These lines are barely 2 years old.

I was relaying this to a local logger here and he said that the Power Service Arctic (and I know he used it in the past as he was currently using a white bottle for chainsaw bar oil) would eat up my pump and lines. Well.... I was using it and my lines were certainly in bad shape. Coincidence?

Has anyone else experienced this?

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
A fuel additive designed for fuel systems causing damage To the system.
I call bs.

And the claim that it'll hurt your pump is total bs too.

I'd say you had junk lines. I run alot of PS stuff with no problems.

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The line I had was from a 7.3 injector return line kit by DIPACO Diesel Parts, on the line it says
"MADE IN GERMANY -30/13/61 >NBR" .

So I am open to suggestions on the line deterioration since #2 diesel and either PS in the silver bottle in summer or the arctic formula in the winter are all that has ever been through these lines.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I have heard of this happening with power service diesel 911 before. I'm not really surprised by it though. Those types of fuel additives probably contain a pretty strong solvent to keep the fuel from gelling. Any strong solvent is going to find weak spots in the line and cause leaks.

That being said Ive noticed the same problems with the rubber lines that you report. Seems to me this diesel fuel we get now a days is really really dry! So standard rubber isn't holding up. Doesn't seem to matter what type of fuel additive you use either. The rubber dries out in a year or two and starts leaking.

Next time I have to do return lines I'm going to try and find some viton line or something different than standard rubber.