power distribution for off road lights etc

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so guys i have a need for some type of multi outlet battery thingy like a battery isolater type that has multiple posts etc.

So what i am thinking is something that has a prety heavy lead positive cable that goes directly to the battery post then goes to a grid type multi post arrangement that i connect the positive ends of the lights to and then maybe have the same type of setup for the negative ends of the lights etc?

Something like below

Attachments

• power supply.jpg
    power supply.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 17

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That' sort of how I have my lights done (I'm pushing 1kW of offroad lights), I have a bank of four 40-amp relays all powered up through a single 4-gauge cable directly off the driver-side battery. I ground all my lights through their mounts, so I do not need to run a second set of wiring for that purpose. It works very good, with everything electrical on I'm running my alternator at near full field and she gets real hot real quick, hotter than the upper tank of the radiator actually!

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the thing my drawing represents dont exist then? I could have sworn ive seen something like that before even if it only had one main ground.

"napa has 100 amp main feed with 5 fuse holders " Pictures? Explanation of how that would work? If they are just a fuse junction box would i hot wire them in or>

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so guys i have a need for some type of multi outlet battery thingy like a battery isolater type that has multiple posts etc.

So what i am thinking is something that has a prety heavy lead positive cable that goes directly to the battery post then goes to a grid type multi post arrangement that i connect the positive ends of the lights to and then maybe have the same type of setup for the negative ends of the lights etc?

Something like below

Yes such an item does exist, IIRC it is called a terminal strip. It can be had where all on one side is connected, one side is connected to another, or each side connected together. Search some aircraft supply catalogs. As is most items for aircraft, the quality and price will be high. Might also check with an electrical warehouse, or McMaster Carr.
Another setup that might work, is Anderson Powerpole 'Power Splitters'. Check at www.powerwerx.com [Just sharing information-I have no connection with that or any online company]

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
so the thing my drawing represents dont exist then? I could have sworn ive seen something like that before even if it only had one main ground.

"napa has 100 amp main feed with 5 fuse holders " Pictures? Explanation of how that would work? If they are just a fuse junction box would i hot wire them in or>

you run one big power wire to it then run the smaller wires from it to your lights and pop a fuse in place I don't see whats so hard about that? I also don't know why you would need one for the groundcookoo

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go snag a couple of them off a early 90s chevy truck. It will only have the one side but if you use two you'll have your ground side also. They are usually mounted right above the ac dryer on the pass side. I have pics somewhere and if I find them I'll post them or take a pic of the one in my 4x4.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle