power and torque

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking for a little more power on my 6.9 with turbo what would be the best gain staying under spending 300$ how much are moose injectors or pump and what kinda power gains can ya suspect and is there any milage gains too? or you think head studs give me more by running more boost i can run up to 12psi pretty easy already with load on? i haul anywhere from 5000-24000 pounds some days. just looking for some ideals. thanks

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Well towing up to that amount of weight with 3.55s is hindering you a good bit. I mean yeah you will get there but you wont be speed demon with it.
PM typ4 about his camshafts. They are not that much $. and add around 15 - 20% more power.

Mileage gains and towing you cant have it both ways. 4.10s yeah would give you some benefit but you have the decrease on mileage unloaded vs the 3.55s.

Head studs are cheap and well worth the investment on the 6.9. Exhaust, and intake are the next to cheapest mods.

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a cowl intake cant say i actually noticed difference in power there but could be cause it hasent been above 40 here since i stuck it on idk. anymore ideals

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thx i got the got the exaust actually coming out under the cab right now havent finished going all the way back yet so there not much restrictions there right now gonna straight pipe it when i do. how much you think the head studs help im sure i could run good boost then could go to 16psi or more no problem ive reached 14 and havent turned up the pump either

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I wouldnt go over 12psi but that is just me. Specially if it is your sig truck with 234k on a non rebuilt engine. 12psi with one of Rus' camshafts would make it rip and roar out of the hole with 410 gears.

I have a bone stock 6.9 with a 4spd w/ 4.56s I tow almost everyday with it. I get 11/14 empty. and 9/12 grossing 28 - 36k. I have a 3.55 truck and it is meant for fuel mileage. 20-26 with it.

You can do an electric fan modification which is less than $100 with 3.8L ford fans. The moose pump and misters are an option but I dont think Mel is doing many of them anymore. They are worth the $ but more than a cheap mans budget.

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i know i try not to i was just goofing off when i reached 14psi racing my brothers 460 bored 30 over took him off the line but he passed me after i get into 5th lol and ya its not rebuilt i wish i got your milage i cant quite figure out why i get worse milage since i put the 5 speed in 19 tops ive got so far but haven't drove it that far since i stuck the turbo and engine in though but made 20 a couple times with the stock engine that was in it when i first got it. how much did the moose pump or injectors cost when he was doing them do ya know?

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I never priced the injectors i dont think. The moost pump was a 500$ deposit and you send him your pump. it could go up from there depending on what was worn out in your pump.

With 3.55s and a ZF5 if you can keep it below 2000rpms you are in prime fuel range.

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow ya ill wait on a pump then till i get rich some day. lol and thats what i figured too but could maybe use some new injectors do you think A code injectors out of the hydrolocked 7.3 i have work and add any power? the motor looks like new yet still paint on all the burs only 100,000 on the rebuild when it locked up i have the whole pickup i could throw 4.10 under mine if i wanted but wanted to keep the milage of the 3.55s for now

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How many miles are on your injectors and pump. If they look like they are painted grey they probably original and they usually last around 125,000 miles... Some less and some more. Turning up the pump two flats will waken it up plenty but... You need to watch the pyro if you have one... If not don't turn it up. You wil have no way of knowing how hot the exhaust is. Pisyons melt around 1225 to 1250 or so. Most will run these engines to 1100 degrees all the time. Some like to run them hotter but.. How close to melted do you want to get. As a piston gets close to melting they get soft and will deform plenty. Rings stick and then a cylinder gets ripped up.. Then its all over. About 12 lbs of boost is all you want to run on stock head bolts and old oem head gaskets. Around 15 lbs is when you loose any extra hp because the air is around 300 degrees from the turbo beating on it to make pressure. An intercooler is needed for boost above 15 lbs.... If the injection pump has been replaced was it timed and how was it done. Most shops can't time these engines because they don't have the meters to do it. Timing will wake up an engine if the timing is off. Usually 9.5 is whats being run these days because of the poor fuel.

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the difference between A CODE and BB CODE injectors other than i read everbody likes the bb ones and everbody says G codes are junk

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im sure the injectors and pump are original and i got i pyro the most ive reached is 1100 going up a hill pulling usually my boost will go over 12 before i do that though and ive been wanting to check the timing but havent did to much checking around yet to see if anybody has a timing meter for it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online