Post injector swap issue...

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
I just cleaned the injector bores on my truck a few weeks ago.

I found this brush to be really good at cleaning off the injector seat, but not doing much for the bore:
http://www.amazon.com/Brush-Research-BRM-FB75-Flat-Bottom/dp/B00K4HSLZU

I got this brush for cleaning the bore, but it leaves some to be desired for the seat.
https://store.snapon.com/Injector-Brushes-5-16-13-16-Injector-Brush-Blue-Point--P635579.aspx

Both of those brushes were specifically designed for cleaning the injector bore of the IDI.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A piece of wood dowel, brass or even steel the right dia and flat on the end will clean seat up also, just put some coarse valve grinding compound on the end and spin it around, have to be careful with cutting type tools so that you don't nick or gouge the seal surface. Hardwood dowel absorbs/embeds the grinding compound turns it into a lap.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A piece of wood dowel, brass or even steel the right dia and flat on the end will clean seat up also, just put some coarse valve grinding compound on the end and spin it around, have to be careful with cutting type tools so that you don't nick or gouge the seal surface. Hardwood dowel absorbs/embeds the grinding compound turns it into a lap.

Lapping compound should never be used on an assembled engine, since the abrasive is basically glass. Get some down into the prechamber and you've definitely created problems. It will etch cylinder walls, valve seats, and valve guides as it works its way out of the engine.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly right, couldn't agree more, care must be taken!Always risky working on higher mileage engines like removing broke glow plug done that! Pre-charge the lap with compound and plug the threaded hole, also compressed air via glow plug to clean out. We are not talking about a new engine in this instance. The small amount of compound you would use is negligible, if you use aluminum oxide based compound rather then the silicon carbide, it will break down to fine paste faster, probably no more harmful then the fines from cast iron being scraped or cut or pieces of carbon dropping in. This is an alternative, (albeit not the best) to not having a cutter, scraper, or special tool most don't have, or small wire brushes that always come apart leaving wires behind. Since this is a maintenance thing maybe a threaded plug like a flush pipe plug could be made to ensure no junk gets in, you could scrape, clean, sand, wire brush till its spotless the blow/vac out, then remove plug!

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW Koch, like your seat reamer tool also! My injectors when replaced were original, so a little carb cleaner took care of my seats.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW Koch, like your seat reamer tool also! My injectors when replaced were original, so a little carb cleaner took care of my seats.

Since the tip of the 'reamer' is still the original seating surface of the injector, it won't cut into the seating surface in the bore. I just cut notches at a slight angle in it. It's purpose isn't to create a new seating surface, just to clean the original one.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, understand its a scraper, the safest way to do no doubt, cleaner not reamer, must have some toolmaker in ya ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online