Possible pump issues

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the long post but I feel ya'll need the back story

1988 f250 na 7.3 c6 claims under 100k miles
Owner asked me to help him get it started after he tried and failed. He said the trans went out so he parked it for a while. He got the trans fixed and drove it 3 days and it quite running. Found the fuel had went bad so dropped the tank changed the filter and tried to refire to no avail. A "friend" tried to help and pulled the ip, housing and all. It was reinstalled but I could tell not right as the housing had orange rtv and the timing door was black. So it was out of time. However this was after close to an hour trying to prime it and just barely got it to try to pump fuel. I had him deliver to my place so I could get a little diaper into it. I pulled the pump again and this time tried to find the timing mark. I found what I thought was a faint yellow line on the lower gear so I dropped her in and bolted her up. I proceeded to crank the engine on and off for close to 2 hours with out getting any fuel out of the pump. Out of desperation I did the gas rag trick (after waiting long enought to let the gps cool). Another bout with cranking almost 45 mins it lights on the gas and then got it to idle on its own. I tried to rev it to just hung at about a grand then stuttered and died. Tried to fire again, cranked for along time holding the throttle wide open and barely firing again. I cracked injector lines and the all seem to be working. it smokes a little blue idling

Now you have the back story, what did i do wrong?
am I a tooth off on the timing
Is the lift pump in the ip cashed
Is it both
Or something else I'm missing

Also I installed my moose pump myself and I too took off the gear housing, but got her timed with out problem but my yellow mark was very easy to find my 7.3 cranks about a half a turn and is running. So I dont think I'm a complete idiot

Thanks in advanced
Matthew

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the fact that it runs, but that when you reved it it died, Sounds to me like the pump is gummed up. At this point, you need to divide and conquer. You need a KNOWN GOOD pump that was running perfectly. Once you get one of those on there, then you can ***** if the timing gear is properly set up by checking the timing with a meter. I have a known good pump that I just took off a guys truck myself. It's high milage, and low on power, but worked fine. I'd ship it to you in exchange for a refundable deposit. Just PM me.

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering. I suspected the pump might be full of crap. I'm tempted to pull my 6.9 pump to check but Not sure if I want to go thru all that trouble
Mel you have a pm
Matthew

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got her fixed. Stopped at a local diesel shop, the one I had time my pump, and he suggested that the metering valve was stuck. So I pulled the top of the pump off drained the fuel and filled it with sea foam as I worked the lever back and forth working it free. I reinstalled the top, fired it up and fixed all the issues. She starts and runs like it should.
Matthew

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you figured out with Mels help what was wrong. That Seafoam is some great stuff. Now add about 2 quarts of automatic trans fluid to the fuel tank. that stuff is great at cleaning up the pump internals too.... and its cheaper than most any other cleaner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online