Possible P-Pump Failure?

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
Senerio in as short of a way as I can describe it.

Tuesday March 25th drove truck to work that morning no noticeable differences at all in the truck nothing to suspect any problem.

Same afternoon jump in the truck to start after work and the motor spins but no fire, not even an attempt to catch.

End up cracking the #1 injector line at the injector and spinning the motor over a few turns. Fuel barely dribbled out, did the same at the pump side of #1 with same result.

Ok dead lift pump without warning...

Truck is hauled to Cedar City Diesel for install of Air Dog Raptor 150GPH fuel system. After installation of the pump they told me the truck was severly hard to start. After one small use of starting fluid the truck started right up. After driving up and down the road truck started and continued to start every time.

I picked the truck up drove it home made several stops, truck continued to start fine everytime. Late that night while going up a steep hill I noticed the truck bogging down, addtitional throttle did not help. Spoke with CCD the next day they said bump up the pressure on the pump. Ok truck sat all day at my house (had to drive other truck home) come home, turned the pressure screw 3/4's of turn to the +. Truck took just a second longer to start, but wasn't extremely bad. Test drove truck and it was back to its old self easily broke tires loose in 2nd and 3rd gears in the rain.

Parked truck @ 6:30 PM and at 6:30AM next morning NO START. Did not have time to work on it till today. Motor spins fine but no fire or attempt to start. Cracked inlet to P Pump...Raptor is flowing fuel no prob. Cracked each individual injector line @ the iinjectors and had to spin the motor over considerably to get fuel. All lines had bled back down. Still no start after bleeding all 6 injectors?

Everybody I have spoken to believe's my injector pump to be shot.

Thoughts/Opinions/Suggestions/Comments welcomed!

Whit

Reaction score
I bet yer 7100 is fine

Replace the small rubber hose just b4 the 7100 I bet its sucking air

why did you put and electrick feed pump on in place of a mechanical pump......the Raptor is a fine fine pump but the cam lobe driven mechanical is the holy grail

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
I bet yer 7100 is fine

Replace the small rubber hose just b4 the 7100 I bet its sucking air

why did you put and electrick feed pump on in place of a mechanical pump......the Raptor is a fine fine pump but the cam lobe driven mechanical is the holy grail

I won it in a raffle drawing. Full metal line from the filter outlet to the pump. Are you refering to the rubber return line that gets dry rotted from heat?

Also I have already ruled out the shut off solenoid and the overflow valve

Whit

Reaction score
cool........where did you win that pump from?

Ya the rubber hose thats tween the filter and the P-7100 replace that ..........its hard to get to but get er done

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
cool........where did you win that pump from?

Ya the rubber hose thats tween the filter and the P-7100 replace that ..........its hard to get to but get er done

I won the Raptor in a raffle ticket drawing @ Cedar City Diesel in Lebanon TN at a TDR meet & eat/ CCD Open House

The one your refering to I believe is the rubber return line that goes from the overflow valve/return line of the pump back behind the filter housing, down the fire wall and back to the pump.

I picked up some rubber hose tonight going to try and replace it tomorrow start it on a little ether and see if it loses prime after sitting for a while again.:confused:

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
Replaced return lines tonight. Started the truck off of brake cleaner. Let it idle for 10 minutes or so....revved the motor up a few times and got absolutely NO smoke.....usually it will throw out a large amount of smoke even free reving.

Shut the truck off after 10-15 minutes idle time and it would not restart.

Luckily I have a friend who bought a big pump taking off a 180HP pump he's going to cut me a deal on.

This one's only getting a 3K kit and my #100 plate.

Whit

Reaction score
this is very strange........I dont get it

a p-pump either works or it dont...................none of this on/off crap

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
this is very strange........I dont get it

a p-pump either works or it dont...................none of this on/off crap

Its real simple. Its getting force fed fuel from the Air Dog Raptor pump. If I get it to fire off ether it will suck fuel from the pump....but the pump itself is shot and not pump hardly any fuel at all. I.E. Not working. the truck WILL NOT start on its on only off ether.