Possible IP problems

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may need another pump of some sort soon anyway. Lack of fuel and retarding of timing are both symptoms of pump wear, and both happen naturally very slowly over time. No the fuel screw cannot back out, but the effect of doing that is the same, and yes it does happen with wear. You pretty much have to turn the screw in, and advance the pump every few years to compensate for wear. Timing needs to be set with the meter, which is why I do it sometimes for the same people at the rallys every year.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah I suppose it could be my pump wearing over time. I dont really know when the pump was changed, but my truck has only 118K miles on it, so I think it should have some life left in it. I'll just run PS every tank from now on, I have been trying to do that, but it seems that every once in a while a tank of diesel will go through without PS in it.

Did you guys happen to see my boost, 9psi cookoo . I dont know if thats because of the temp, it was at 30*, but it just shoot right over that 6psi wastegate opening mark.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your screw is maxed out, then your cam lobes are pretty worn. 100K is decent life for a rotary IP. Yea some folks get more than that out of them, but that is the number I pretty much consider to be the preventative change out point anyway.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well we think its maxed out. When Russ was tightening it, it went about a 1/4 turn, and then he didnt want to go any farther because he didnt want to risk breaking it.

Yeah Mel thats what I was meaning. My truck has 118K, and since the pump has been replaced, it makes sense that it should still have lots of life left in it, unless it was changed at like 18K miles.