Possible CPS problem.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This happened with the F150 Gasser 3.5L
I don't want to get people excited that this may be a problem in a 7.3L diesel with the CPS. It was discovered at the Kansas City truck plant that some pulse wheels "tone rings" had one (1) of the "fingers" bent down about one (1) MM, that caused a confusion to the PCM. The confusion was that the PCM didn't know when #1 Cyl. was at TDC some of the time. The 3.5L six Cyl. engine in the F-150 was the one giving them intermittent problems. It was reported that changing the CPS on some faulty engines, corrected the problem, but not all.

I've noticed different color CPS sensors are a little bit different in length. It would seem to me that the closer the CPS is to the pulse wheel "tone ring", the more sensitive it would be.

One (1) MM is the thickness of your Credit card. Don't know and never seen the pulse wheel "tone ring" in a Diesel, but if it's the same configuration, could this be a manufactureing problem yet to be discovered with all the CPS problems in just some vehicles. The pulse wheel "tone ring" for the 3,5L has the "fingers" 90 degrees faceing out from the wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7