Tach CPS trick only works up to 2001, does an Edge console help?

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a tach trick that 7.3 guys know to see if the CPS has gone bad. Watch the tach while you crank. If the tach reading stays at zero when cranking, your CPS has gone north on you. Put in the known-good CPS that you keep in the glove box with a 10mm wrench.

But that trick stops working with the electronic dash that came around 2002. When I crank my 03, the tach needle does not move until the motor fires.

I wonder if there's a PID I could watch on the Edge CTS/3 console to see if the CPS has gone north on my 03. If I have a crank nostart, which PID would tip me that the CPS is bad? I always monitor IPR, IPW, and ICP.

Anybody? If nobody knows, I'll check tomorrow morning. My 03 needs glow plugs so mornings involve some cranking now.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys, I watched the Edge on crank today. All three of those PIDs are alive during crank. I had to crank about 8 seconds today. (gotta get new glow plugs soon)

So the big question now is this: If the CPS goes bad, would IPR, IPW, or ICP reveal that during cranking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx