Possible 05 6.0 purchase need advice

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got a chance to buy a 05 F-250 with a 6.0 iv had one before but it was a 04 and to be honest I loved that truck except when I was working on it that being said this one has 94k miles has been bullet proofed and has a brand new turbo well the turbo story was he lost the rubber gromet on the air box for the filter gauge/what ever the hell it is good for gauge in the air box he replaced it and ran the truck and pulled the gromet through the turbo so he put a new turbo on it and now wants to sell the truck and for me he said 5500 cash. And it's a clean truck so that being said we're thethere any big issues in the that year that we're different from the earlier year PSD

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would want to see how it starts and runs, hot and cold.
Like if you go to look at it, feel the engine to see if it's been ran. If it's warm, walk away, because he's likely trying to hide something.
No real differences to speak of.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Jasper said is good advice.

My advice is to measure the engine coolant temperature versus engine oil temperature. If you can't measure this and be comfortable with the results, don't touch it. Google "6.0 Powerstroke delta" and do some reading on the delta measurement and oil cooler plugging.

I like a well maintained 6.0 liter. A poorly maintained 6.0 will ruin your wallet in a hurry.

Good luck

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I look at a 6.0 I do a few things.

I plug in with a scanner and look at a bunch of sensors and data. Just like I were doing a running issue diagnostic. A power balance test is nice if you have the hardware/software for it. I also look to see how many run cycles since codes were last cleared. If you want more detail about things to look for(EOT/ECT delta, ICP, IPR, etc...) just ask

Also using the starter bypass wire on the passenger fender, crank the engine over and listen to it(key out of ignition). Make sure that its smooth and doesn't sound like it has a miss or a "hitch" while cranking. If so, there's possibly one or more low compression cylinders.

All of the above can be done in a very short time period.

You can go further and do a coolant test for combustion gasses.
Hook up a coolant system pressure gauge.
Compression test
Etc...

After all of that, its all the normal stuff you should look for on a used vehicle.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thank you seems like typical 6.0 issues I know the truck and owner but didn't know if there were any different tricks to the newer ones I miss my old 04it sounded so good and pulled great also the wife loved it more than me

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, there isn't anything on an 05 that I'd be wary of (not anymore than any 6.0).

I do highly recommend you hook up a scanner and look at a few data points. Check it KOEO and then cranking, both cold and hot.

While at full temp, run it down the road hard. Check EOT/ECT delta, fan speed vs engine RPM, FICM voltage, VGT percentages, IPR percentages, ICP actual vs desired, etc...

Then check to see if you blew any coolant out after some hard runs.

As far as data to look at, below is what is usually on my iPhone scanner. I use AutoEnginuity or an IDS for serious work on them. But this app(OBD Fusion) and an OBD2 to WiFi/Blutooth dongle and a phone of your choice, goes a long ways. I actually give my customers a dongle and setup their phones when I do any serious work. I think that much of having a decent scanner when you own a 6.0.

The dongle i usually recommend is by BAFX and costs typically $22-$27 on amazon, depending on if you need WiFi(iPhone) or the bluetooth(android) version. The app will ask you to pay $10 to get the advanced Ford features for the model year of truck that you hook up to. There are other options out there. This is just the one I like.

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can also release the pressure in the degas bottle once it's up to temp, drive some more then recheck it. It shouldn't have much pressure at this point.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also release the pressure in the degas bottle once it's up to temp, drive some more then recheck it. It shouldn't have much pressure at this point.

Yup. I do that too. I just don’t tell people to do it because some guys will burn themselves and I don’t want to get blamed because the guy wasn’t wearing his “I’m a danger to myself sign” when I gave the advice. Lol.

Another thing I do is bleed the pressure. Then fill the resovour almost all the way to the top and close the cap. You shouldn’t get any significant expansion from that small amount of added coolant. But if the system pressurizes, it will weep or blow coolant and be really easy to spot.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok yeah Monday I'm going to check it out after work I'll check the Degas bottle and many I can swing borrowing a dongle

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I didn't buy that 6.0 it had to crank a bit to start warm but would fire just fine cold and after releasing the pressure on the Degas bottle and driving a bit it built a bit of pressure I didn't even use the dongle to plug it in but it ran good otherwise also a big factor was I didn't want to borrow any money for a truck I would be putting money into

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call... sounds like it had a blown headgasket and it being "bulletproofed" might be a bunch of bull or someone didn't know what they were doing.

Can't tell you how many "bulletproofed" 6.0s I've looked at that still had the TTY bolts on.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know it had studs checked for that and the egr was gone but it agree I'll just keep pinching Penny's and driving the idi

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know it had studs checked for that and the egr was gone but it agree I'll just keep pinching Penny's and driving the idi

Don't feel bad, the right truck for You will come at the right time ;Sweet
I left a job and now need to move to a different state so I sold everything I had parked outside (6.0, dirtbikes, camper) except for my IDI and my wife's honda lol I'm so glad I kept my old **** and I'm now more encouraged than ever to invest into that NA 7.3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86