Polished my wheels - Whatcha think?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Got these real cheap. Stripped the clear, sanded the hell out of 'em, machine polished , then hand polished twice. They oughta dress up the old IDI if I ever get it back from the body shop:D

Attachments

• 4 psd wheels.jpg
    4 psd wheels.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 118

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Those are nice looking rims, they look like they'll be easy to keep clean!
Mine aren't quite so "washup" friendly, but when I got them in 1990, that was about all that was readily available aftermarket then. I do have a plan to polish them though, how long did your job take. Did you put any thing back on them afterwards?
Lorne

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Thanks guys, They aren't perfect but the pictures don't really do them justice. It took a while to find the right stuff to strip the clear so ALOT of time was burned up in the "trial & error" stage. In any case, it takes a while.

I do have a plan to polish them though, how long did your job take. Did you put any thing back on them afterwards?
Lorne [/B]

I guess you could figure on a day per wheel. Once I got better with the machine polishing, it rolled right along. Here's what I did:

1. Three coats of Aircraft Stripper ( put this on VERY thick - works better that way)

2. Wet sand starting at 220 grit & go up to 1000 grit ( I only went to 800 grit & can still see some fine scratches that didn't come out. Also will make less work on the polishing end of things)

3. Machine polish starting with a grey tripoli bar, then brown bar, then green & finally finish with white rouge bar ( I found out that polishing by machine or hand works better when the temp is above 55 degrees & the angle grinder/ polisher should turn no less that 8500 RPM for a good cut.

4. Hand polish the **** out of them:D :D I use stuff called White Diamond Metal Polish. It isn't easy on - easy off stuff but it works great. You can find it in most truckstops But definately @ Flying J truckstops. Awsome stuff.

I didn't re-clear them & probably won't, but someone told me about some stuff called Zoops that seals for a year. I'd rather be able to repolish them to keep 'em looking good. Hope that helps.

Scott

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Looks good! :Thumbs Up

So what's your address I'll ship mine out... I'll even be nice and pay the shipping both ways... LOL

No seriously THEY LOOK GOOD! Makes me want to go out and polish mine now...

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Travis,
It's funny you say that. My dad saw the wheels sitting in my garage & asked me to do some wheels for him. I thought he was joking. He & my mom came up to babysit last nite. I went out to work on my tractor this morning & somehow 4 big ass corvette wheels found there way to my house!!:confused:

I like doing the work but I don't know what it's worth. I know what I was paying to get my Peterbilt done @ the truckstops but you can't charge those kinda rates & expect someone to let you do their wheels at your leisure. I'm not opposed to it if your serious, just gotta figure out the details. Dodge wheels I'm assuming?

I need to get the Sidewinder on soon too. That could push the polishing back too:D :D :D

Scott

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Nah I was just joking... I'll Mel and the gang do it at the IDI Weekend I mean last year they touched up The Enterprise before the Show n Shine/Rust n dust so I expect it this year as well... ;p LOL

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
That's cool. I wish I could make it to that shindig. Too much work, wife NOT into trucks(except the one that pays the bills) & much home improvement to do in the new house.

Unless........I hauled a load of cars to a specific campground in the Buckeyethat particular weekLOL . Is there parking for 18 wheelers there?:D

Scott

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Travis, might be a little hard to do if your not there. ;p

pafixitman

Reaction score
Originally posted by apextrans
Unless........I hauled a load of cars to a specific campground in the Buckeyethat particular weekLOL . Is there parking for 18 wheelers there?:D

Scott

I'm hearing ... Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of june
In a kenworth pullin’ logs ... in my head!

So it is a Pete pulling cars on the fourth of July......

If we can let a Dodge come to the IDI rally, we can at least fake this.

I say bring it on Apex! BTW - what part of MD you in?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Pa,

I used to live right down the road from you in Glyndon, MD but the wife wanted to be closer to the "outlaws" so now I live in Fallston, MD. I've still got a few buddies spread out around Finksburg, Arcadia, & Westminster. I used to get up into Hanover quite a bit before I sold my Towing Co. I still sneak through once in a while on the scenic route home from the PA auctions.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent